~ 8 ~

I was sitting on one of the bleachers in the basketball field thinking about the test I just took an hour ago. It was not an easy test at all. In twenty minutes we had to answer hundred multiple choice questions. I was able to answer only eighty three questions and I am not sure how well I did because of the time limit. Liam on the other hand aced the test by answering hundred questions in twenty minutes.

He teased me alot when I told him that I couldn't attempt all the questions but then he motivated me and I quote, "It's okay. You're brilliant and I can say that by seeing your notes. Chill, you'll do well in the next test. This is only the first test." Well, I was disappointed in myself but then Liam made me smile. Everyone should have a friend like him. I guess I am lucky.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts I didn't realize that the knock-out round had started. I don't understand basketball much but by looking at the scene on the field I understood that each of the seven freshers have to play against one of the co-captains and score. They will be given three attempts and they have to score atleast two times to get selected.

All the players were lined up and a bowl containing a number of chits was placed right in front of them. The chits had the names of the two co-captains written on them - a fresher has to pick a chit and he has to play against the co-captain whose name is written in it.

I saw Liam standing at the far end of the queue but the one I really wanted to see was nowhere to be seen. My big brown eyes were dancing all over the field but I couldn't find him. I was getting restless when suddenly I saw two guys coming to the field towards the other players from the opposite side of the bleachers.

I smiled shyly when I saw my sexy saviour wearing a red and black jersey walking towards the players. It was almost dark and the floodlights were on. The light reflected on his perfect face making it shine brighter than ever. His raven coloured hair was messy not showing off the perfect spikes and his face reflected anger.

Well, I remember when he told me that aggression is part of the game.

I saw Derek and douchy Alex standing in front of the freshers saying something which ofcourse I couldn't hear. Maybe some usual motivational speech. Then Alex and Derek shook hands and the play started. One by one the freshers picked up the chit and played with their chosen co-captain. Alex had played four times in which only two freshers got selected. Derek was up against two and none of them stood up to him. What can I say, Derek's amazing at his game. I mean the way he tackles the ball and jumps in the air to basket it, is just WOW.

Six freshers have played until now and only two got selected. It's Liam's chance now and I am already sweating like a pig. It's my anxiety doing the sweat job. UGHH!!!! Liam went on to pick up a chit and the chit fell from his hands when he opened it. I don't know why I had a feeling it was Derek's name and guess what I was right.
I saw Derek smirking at Liam and Liam, on the other hand was fuming with anger. 'Please don't kill each other' I prayed mentally, both my hands clasped together.

The Coach gestured them to take their respective positions and so they did, not breaking the glaring eye contact. The atmosphere in the field was tense. The Coach placed the ball right in the centre and in front of the basket. He blew the whistle and Liam and Derek started circling around the ball.

Then suddenly, I saw Liam tackle the ball effortlessly, dodging Derek completely and in a matter of seconds he jumped in the air and threw the ball in the basket, leaving Derek just standing as if he had no clue what happened. HELL YEAH!!!!

I knew Liam was awesome. I screamed his name along with the other classmates. We were overjoyed.

Then came the second attempt. I was praying for Liam because he really needed to play the game. But to my surprise Mr. Hotshot didn't let it happen. Yes, Derek scored the second shot.