~ 37 ~

The dinner went peacefully without any tension and war-like experiences on the table. The food was mouth-watering and delicious.

Laura and Evelyn were able to prepare the most wanted roast potatoes, buttery chicken noodles, bacon wraps and cranberry sauce. Everything else was ordered online, like Cora's favourite sugar cookies, apple cider and an insane amount of dark as well as milk chocolates. As for the traditional egg nog, it was prepared by the boys. It was the Hale family mens tradition to prepare egg nog by themselves. And we all know that Christmas is all about honouring traditions.

The siblings conversed at ease, poking fun at each other. Ofcourse, no one dared to make fun of Derek because of obvious reasons. But the rest of them were quite happy about their decision of coming to the city to celebrate Christmas with Derek and Alex.

Derek, on the other hand, was elated. He was feeling blessed to have such a caring and lovely family. He remembered what Amarra had told about going home for the holidays. She was so adamant that he must go home and start living his life because that's the way he will heal. 'She is so mature for her age' Derek thought to himself in appreciation.

He was content and extremely jovial after a very long time. There was a warm glow on his beautiful face. He wasn't smiling much but his green beans begged to differ. Tonight his eyes were shining and were full of life after a long long time.

And he thanked his family and Amarra for that exceptionally beautiful day. Because for Derek Hale, such days are rare.

_________________________

~ 1st January 2020 ~

It was just after midnight when Derek got into the comfiness of his bed and dialled Amarra's number. He wanted to talk to her and listen to her chirpy voice to start his new year. After all, he has planned to tell her about his feelings for her once she gets back to campus.

'And we danced all night to the best song ever'

Rang her caller tune. Derek raised his eyebrows in surprise because the last time he called her right before she was leaving for NYC, there was no specific caller tune. He checked again to see if he has dialled the right number. Yes, it was Amarra's.

Derek sighed noting mentally that maybe One Direction is her favourite boy band or maybe she just likes this song.

After a few seconds, her voice chimed in Derek's ear.

"Hey there, you've reached Amarra Wilson. You know what to do. TTYL."

Derek disconnected the call in irritation. He was desperate to talk to her but she was probably partying tonight. He wondered where she was. Maybe she was asleep. Or she was way too drunk and asleep. Or she was still out partying with Valerie and her childhood friends. After all, it's New York City and it is very much known for its night life.

A million thoughts crossed his mind as he kept the phone on the bedside table, but not before switching it to vibration mode, just in case she calls back.

It was clear from his sudden irritation and agitation that he missed her. And he knew that if he wasn't shit scared and confessed his feelings like a normal guy would, he would have been with her right now. But what's done is done. Derek made a mental note to talk to her as soon as she comes back from NYC, so that no more time is wasted being apart.

It was almost 1 a.m. and Derek was slowly drifting into a peaceful slumber when his phone started vibrating.

Buzzzz!!! Buzzzz!!! Buzzzz!!!

Derek jolted awake and leapt to his phone seeing a familiar name. It was Amarra. His sad sleepy face changed into a jubilant sleepy face in a nanosecond. Such was her impact on him.