~ 42 ~

Hours went by since Liam woke up. He was himself with no particular damage to the brain and spine. He was okay. Dr. Bradley told us that it was a miracle that Liam didn't encounter any neurological damage considering the cab had flipped thrice. I think it's only possible because of the grace of the Divine Power.

We saw him, sat by his side and cried an ocean of tears warning him to never leave us like this. Liam was touched by our emotional meltdown for him. He didn't think our friendship was so deep by now. Clearly there is some neurological damage that got missed in the CT scan.

"I am so sorry guys. But I didn't think this could happen. Who thinks they would be in an accident." he said in a hoarse voice. He was still not able to talk properly but the doctors said he will regain his full voice after he gets proper rest and food.

"It's okay. What matters most is that you're well." I said wiping away tears from my cheeks.

"Really Liam, we were super scared. We thought you would die." Valerie said in a sincere tone and Liam and I gave her a quizzical glance.

"Did I hear that right?? Did she just call me Liam??" he had a mischievous smile on his bandaged face. 

"Instead of calling him 'cute butt'. That's progress I guess." I chuckled.

"Okay enough. You know you just got away with death. I can make an exception. BUT-" Valerie pointed a finger at Liam, "You will always be 'cute butt' to me." 

And she laughed. Like a real laugh. And I was so glad to see the old cheerful Valerie again. Compared to the grief ridden ghost-like girl I saw all day.

"You guys look like hell. Go and get some sleep." Liam suggested looking concerned at our tear stained faces and baggy eyes. 

"No we are staying." Valerie chimed in placing a hand on his unbroken hand and Liam swallowed his throat. I saw the gesture and immediately recognised it as something that I have felt before. Liam's face was hesitant as if he was trying to avoid showing what he really feels.

And then it clicked.

Oh my Heavens !!!!! 

Liam likes Valerie. 

Cause the moment she held his hand he felt something and I don't think it could be disgust or anything else other than feelings. Feelings of LOVE.

OMG !!! 

This initially, one sided fondness just got more interesting. 

I cleared my throat putting an end to the awkward silence and said, "Liam's right. We need to sleep else we'll end up here too." I motioned to Valerie to get up but she didn't move. 

And then something so unpredictable happened. 

"Please get some sleep." 

Liam squeezed Valerie's hand with such earnest touch that she couldn't refuse. His eyes were so sincere in that moment that I couldn't believe what was happening in front of me. I bit back a smile that was shaping spontaneously on my face because I didn't want to ruin the moment. 

"We'll come in the morning. Take rest and don't code." Valerie got up from her very comfortable position next to Liam and patted his unbroken hand lightly. Turned around glanced at me and left the room.

"Derek said he'll check on you since he's going to be in the library all night. Take rest okay." I said and Liam smiled reassuring me that he will be fine.

________________________

When I got out of the shower, I saw Valerie sprawled on the bed, her hands dangling from the side of the bed and her breathing had turned into a light snore. I sighed dipping my head back. There was no space left on the bed and the snoring was a direct indication that she was in deep sleep.