~ 34 ~

I reached the airport early to shop for Christmas gifts for everyone . For family and friends in New York and for Liam and Vallie. I have also planned to buy a little something for Derek, considering we are friends now.

Yes it's official.

Derek and I are friends. He confirmed it last night when he called to wish me a happy journey and a blissful Christmas and New Years.

~~ The Phone Call ~~

"Hello." I said picking up after debating on whether to pick the call early or let it ring for a while. I picked up on the fifth ring. Not too desperate.

"Hi. Are you busy??" he asked in his sexy husky voice sending electric shocks in my body.

"No. I'm not. Just packing. I'm leaving tomorrow." I said sitting on the bed around the heap of clothes and books.

"Ohh. What time's your flight??" he asked and made me wonder why he is calling and making small talk. 'He is your friend. That's what friends do' my subconscious patted my shoulder and made a 'Duh' face.

"8 in the morning."

"Okay." He took in a gash of breath totally clueless about what to say next.

"Umm... What do you want to talk about??" I asked holding my breath.

There was a brief pause when Derek took a deep breath and out came his husky voice with a glint of relief, "Aahmm... That night at my place... I told you things about...." He paused and all I could hear was his uneven breathing. "About my past... And I wanted to thank you for understanding... I just wanted to say that it would mean a lot if you and I could be friends."

His breathing was back to normal. I could hear his sharp inhale and exhale of breath over the phone. Well, it was an oddly quiet night. No crickets were chirping outside. No wind was howling like usual.

He was waiting for me to answer. He was waiting. I pursed my lips together and took a deep breath.

I knew in my heart that being his friend was not enough. It was not what I wanted. I cannot be his friend when I have romantic feelings for him. It's insane.

But I also knew that you do insane things for the people you love. And I love Derek. I love him. Now more than ever.

And I cannot bear to hurt him anymore. If he wants us to be friends, then I will be his friend, holding on to the hope of becoming MORE someday.

"Okay. We are friends."

The moment the words escaped my mouth, I heard a sharp release of breath from Derek. He was holding his breath. Gosh!! His breathing depended on my answer. How are we going to be just friends??

"But I have one condition." I said.

"And what would that be??" he asked intrigued. I could say he was smiling his dear smile at the other end.

"You'll have to be my friend even when everyone is around. No excuses." I said, holding my breath. I had an inkling that he would refuse.

But Derek surprised me. Lately he has been in a tendency of surprising me.

"Okay done." He said and I smiled in awe.

"So when are you going home??" I asked expecting his answer to be a date. But his answer surprised me. Again.

"Umm... I'm not going home. I'm falling behind and have a lot to study." he said casually. But I was in no mood to take his answer casually.

"What?? You're going to be alone on Christmas and New Years??" I asked abruptly.