47. "S-She Promised.."

3 days later

Matteo woke up to the light sound of beeping. He slowly started to open his eyes a bit, he then looked up at the dim light that was over him. "H-Hm... a-ah!.." Matteo grunted out before he then trembled. He soon started to look around, he seen that he was in a lab alone. This is what caused Matteo to panic, which made the heart monitor go crazy. "(Not again. Not again!..)" Matteo said sadly and quietly as he tried to get the wires off. "Mama! MAMA!" Matteo yelled and cried out.

Before he knew it people started to run in the room, he seen Nat and Steve both run in after the people. Matteo was looking around frantically as he had tears stinging his eyes "MAMA!" Matteo cried out again. He then felt people holding him down "L-LET GO! L-LET GO! MAMA! M-MAMA!" Matteo yelled out over his cries. Nat just ran over and grabbed Matteo's hand "shhh! Shhh! Your ok! Your ok! Calm down bug! Your ok! Your safe!" Nat tried to soothe Matteo. All Matteo did was cry and squirm. Steve ran over to go and hold the boy down "Matteo! Your ok your safe! It's me Steve!" Steve blurted out. One of the doctors quickly grabbed an needle with anesthesia in it, she quickly pricked it into Matteo's neck. Matteo felt the needle go in his neck, he then trembled before he looked at Nat who was giving him a worried look. He didn't know why but through the tears and foggy ness of his sleepy state he seen Wanda instead of Nat."Mama?..." Matteo said one last time before he fully zonked out.

Nat kept a hold of Matteo's hand and started to rub his hand with her thumb. She then felt tears prick up as she looked at Matteo who was now mello and asleep. Steve watched as the doctors soon left the lab, he then walked over to Nat and put a hand on her shoulder. "He called me 'Mama'.. Wanda should be here... he needs her.." Nat said before she let tears fall down her cheeks. Steve sighed before he soon looked at the now sleeping small 10 year old. "Yeah.. he needs her. But he needs us more than ever.. he just lost his sister. He's going to think he's all alone.. he doesn't know what he's been fighting for.. he doesn't understand this all.." Steve said sadly. "Yeah.." Nat said sadly before she soon felt Matteo's hand grip onto her tightly. Nat just smiled slightly before she leaned in and gave Matteo a kiss on the head. Steve just smiled a bit before he grabbed and chair for the both of them so they can wait for Matteo to wake up again.

2 hours later

Matteo slowly started to wake up again. This time he had a pounding headache along with his body aching. Matteo soon let out a small whine which caught the attention of Nat and Steve who where half asleep in their chairs. "Hey.. hey bug.." Nat cooed as she soon grabbed Matteo's hand again. Matteo looked over at her and Steve "N-Natty.." Matteo said sadly before he teared up again. Nat sat up quickly and soon put her other hand on Matteo's cheek wiping away his tears. "Shhh.. your ok. I have you.. your safe bug." Nat cooed. "N-Natty.. I h-hurt.." Matteo said quietly before he trembled. "I'll go get Bruce." Steve stated as he thought he could help and also not have the doctors scare Matteo. Nat just nodded at him before she turned her attention back on Matteo.

Nat was keeping Matteo's attention on her and helping him keep his mind off the pain he was in. "W-wheres m-mama?.." Matteo asked as he looked at Nat. Nat just froze before she soon looked at Matteo with his tear stained cheeks and red puffy eyes. "Matteo..she..she's gone.." she said sadly. Matteo felt his heart drop again, he then looked as if he was about to break down again but he held it in. "I-I thought that a-all was a d-dream..mama..t-tu-turned to dust..d-d-did s-she.." Matteo said in a shaky voice. "Yeah..she did bug.." Nat said before she looked at Matteo with teary eyes. Matteo bit the bottom of his lip harshly before he looked up at the ceiling "s-she p-promised.." is all matteo said before he let a couple of tears slip. Nat just looked at him before she soon stated to rub circles around Matteo's hand again to let him know what she's there with him.

Time skip

Matteo was now up and walking, since his enhanced healing finally caught. He was not able to walk around slowly, the only thing that really never really healed was his deep scars from the scratched the alien dude caused him.