48. Mute

5 days later

Matteo was in the living room laying down on the couch with the Tv going. He hasn't talked in the past 3 days to anyone, even Steve and Nat. Everyone started to grow worried for Matteo but Bruce knew why. He told the team after all the traumatic events and the big losses in Matteo's life he just hasn't found or brought himself to talk. The team went sad at that but they understood, they knew Matteo needed to cope in all but he was healing and coping in a very harsh way. Well according to Steve and Nat.

As Matteo was laying on the couch he heard two people start to come into the living room. The boy was to drained to even sit up and look at who it was. Even though he's been sleeping fine he just has been really tired, he probably thought it was because of how his powers where still trying to heal him. "Hey bug. You doing ok?" Nat asked as she sat down next to Matteo. Matteo just nodded before he continued to stare off at the black tv screen. Steve sat down on the other side of Matteo and did a little sigh. "He kid. You know we will be here for you right?" Steve said softly as he looked down at the boy. Matteo nodded at him before he soon put his hand over his eyes, everytime he hid his eyes he felt as if the world was about to cave in on him. Nat frowned at Matteo before she soon picked him up and set her in her lap.

Matteo just hid his face into Nat and just did a little tremble. "Your ok. You have me and Steve. We won't leave you I promise buggy." Nat said sadly. Matteo just let out a small sob before he soon felt Nat rub his back and soon start to play with his hair. Nat frowned at Matteo before she looked over at Steve who had the same frown. "I'm gonna go out and get something to eat. You guys wanna come? Or do you want me to bring food back?" Steve asked as he looked at Nat. Nat looked down at Matteo who was hiding his face and slowly starting to calm down. "Hey bug. You wanna go with Steve to get something to eat?" Nat asked. Matteo looked up at her before he looked at Steve, he then looked up at Nat with a little scared look. "Don't worry. I'll come." Nat reassured Matteo. The boy then did a little nod before he let out a sniffle. "Ok. Well let's go and find some shoes. Then we can be off." Steve said as he soon got up from the couch and went off to go get Matteo's shoes.

Matteo got out of Nat's grasp and slowly got off the couch. "Matteo." Nat called out to the little boy. Matteo stoped and turned around to look at Nat, he then tilted his head a bit. "I love you buggy ok?" Nat said before she soon got up. Matteo did a small nod before he smiled a bit, he then walked off to go follow Steve. Nat just smiled at him before she soon started to go and follow them off to go get their shoes on and go out to go eat.

Time skip

After they ate at a small diner, which consisted of Steve and Nat both trying to be there for Matteo and having him try to talk here and there but he never did. Matteo and the 2 adults started to now walk along in the park. The young boy held onto Nat's hand while they walked, while Steve just walked beside them. As Matteo kept walking he looked over and seen a playground that had no one there. He looked up at Nat before tugging onto her hand a bit. "Hm? What is it bug?" Nat asked. Steve looked over at him before he looked at Nat. Matteo pointed over to the playground, both Steve and Nat looked over at the playground. "You wanna go over to the playground?" Nat asked. Matteo nodded as looked at her and Steve. "I Don't knowww" Steve said in a playful tone. Matteo let out a small huff before he looked down at the ground. "He's kidding. Come on let's head over." Nat said as she soon gave Steve a glare. "Oh come on in messing around." Steve stated as he soon followed behind them.

As they made it to the playground Matteo let go of Nat's hand and started to run into the play set. Nat sat down on the bench along with Steve. "Do you think he'll talk again?" Nat asked as she watched Matteo. "I Don't know. Well maybe only with us. Well when he's comfortable again that is." Steve stated as he crossed his arms and watched Matteo. Matteo started to do the monkey bars, he then let go and did a small smile. As he ran back up onto the play set he look at the slide. "Hm?" Matteo did a small hum before he then went ahead and started to slide down the slide. As he reached the bottom of the slide he was stunned a bit, he then let out a small giggle before he went ahead and started to go and do the slide again. Nat and Steve both smiled when they both heard the sound of Matteo's giggling.

After about 10 minutes have passed Matteo come running back over to the both of them. He looked a bit tired from the amount of running around and sliding he's been doing. "You done bud?" Steve asked as he looked at the young Maximoff. Matteo nodded as he let out a small yawn "well. Looks like someone's tired. Let's start heading back now. It's been a long day." Nat stated as she soon got up. Steve got up and did a little stretch, he then looked down at Matteo who yawned again and started slowly walk behind him and Nat. Steve turned around and picked Matteo up "you look to tired to be walking bud." Steve said before he soon felt Matteo rest his chin on his shoulder. Nat smiled at them before she went ahead and started to walk along side Steve back to where they parked the car.

As the three got all settled into the car Matteo fell asleep. The two adults looked back at Matteo before they smiled a bit. Steve went on to drive off to head back to the compound. As they where driving back Nat made Steve stop at a small toy store. As Steve watched Nat go inside the store he looked back at Matteo and seen how Matteo was all peaceful. Steve smiled a bit before he looked back out the window to see some people carry on with their day. He didn't know how long he was in his own thoughts, before he knew it Nat came back into the car with a bag. "Whats in the bag?" Steve asked. "Stuffed animals for Matteo. I know he probably needs it so might as well get him that comfort again." Nat stated quietly. "Ah. Ok." Steve said as he soon started now drive back to the compound.

Time skip

Matteo was all curled up on the couch watching 'The Good Dinosaur' while he held onto his dinosaur stuffed animal Nat got him. The toy was a T-Rex, Matteo called him Rex but only he ever knew that since he didn't want to talk quite yet. As he was watching the movie he heard someone walk into the room. Matteo sat up a bit to see Pepper walk into the room. Matteo tilted his head a bit before she soon looked over at him "Oh. Hey Matteo. I didn't see you there." She said with a small smile. Matteo just waved at her before he soon slumped back down on the couch. Pepper was a bit confused but she brushed it off and went along with her day.

As Matteo watched the movie he heard more pair of feet start to walk into the room. Matteo rolled his eyes a bit before he sat up again and seen who all walked into the room. He seen Rocket, Thor and Bruce walk into the kitchen. Matteo looked down at Rex before he soon slumped back down on the couch. He didn't want to bother them, plus he knew after the way he seen Thor started to act he didn't want to get in his way. Matteo was a bit terrified my him still, then again just the thought that he summons Lightning scares him still.

As Matteo just laid there watching the movie he heard someone start to walk over to the couch. Matteo looked over and seen Nat, he smiled a bit before he soon started to watch the movie. "You doing ok bug?" Nat asked. Matteo nodded before he soon looked down at Rex. "That's good." She said before she started to watch the movie.

During the end of the movie Matteo had fallen asleep as he held onto Rex tightly. Nat looked over and seen him all curled up sleeping, she smiled a bit before she got up and went over to pick Matteo up. Right as she did that Matteo squirmed a bit but he soon got himself comfortable in her arms. Nat just smiled at him before she soon started to walk up to Matteo's room.

Right as she got to Matteo's room she set him down on the bed and got him all tucked in. "M-m..mama.." Matteo said softly. Nat was a bit startled by him but she soon did a sad sigh. "M-mama.." Matteo said again which soon made Nat look at Matteo with a sad look. She then seen Matteo start to stir a bit "m-ma.." Matteo called out sadly before he soon woke up gasping for air. Nah looked at him before she kneeled down next to him "hey hey. Shhh. It's ok. I'm here. Your ok bug." Nat said sadly. "M-ma-mama..mama.." Matteo said sadly before he soon started to tremble. Nat furrowed her eyebrows before she soon brought Matteo into a hug. "It's ok.. your going to be ok.. natty is here bug.." she said as she soon started to rock them back and forth.

After about 10 minutes Matteo started to slowly fall back asleep again. Nat just smiled a little before she kissed his head. Before she was about to get up and leave Matteo grabbed into her and opened his tired eyes. "S-stay.." he said quietly. Nat just gave him a smile and nod "ok. I'll stay." She said softly before she too started to now lay down with Matteo. Matteo cuddled close to Nat and let out a sniffle "momma.." Matteo said quietly. "Hm?" Nat hummed out as she soon looked down at Matteo. "I'm sorry..f-for not t-talking momma.." Matteo said sadly. "Hey.. it's ok. You just needed time. Just for now just sleep.. we can talk later ok baby?" Nat said as she soon caressed the boys cheek. Matteo let out a small hum before he soon started to drift asleep. Nat just smiled a bit before she realized Matteo called her 'momma'. She then smiled and just looked down at Matteo, before she was about to fall asleep she kissed Matteo's head. "Sweet dreams bug." She said quietly before she pulled the covers up and soon started to fall asleep along with Matteo.