51. The Sad Truth

The next day
8:23am

Matteo was in the kitchen along with Carol and Nebula. Matteo was eating the pancakes that Carol made. He really liked hanging out with her, he found her as a cool aunt. He knew that she cared for him but he found out that she didn't really know how to show it which he found funny, since she would try her best to show it. But with Nebula he didn't know her very well, he was terrified of her but he knew she wasn't bad.

So the 10 year old just sat in silence as he ate his pancakes. "Here kid. Here's some delicious OJ" Carol said as she slid him a plastic cup with orange juice in it. Matteo looked gave her a small smile before he soon took the cup and drank the orange juice. Carol smiled at him before she soon walked over and sat next to him to eat her breakfast. Nebula watch for a bit before she soon walked off.

Right as Matteo seen her walk off he felt more comfortable to talk to someone else that's not Nat and Steve. "T-thank you.." he said in a quiet yet raspy voice. Carol chocked on her orange juice when she heard him, she then looked at the boy who was looking at her with a bit of a worried look. "D-did you just? Talk?" She asked. "Y-yeah?.. s-sorry for scarring you.." Matteo said sadly before he soon looked down at his pancakes. "Hey. It's ok. I just never excepted you to talk to me. Well like at all. Nat had told me about what happened about the whole Mute situation. Im sorry kiddo." She said as she soon put her hand on his shoulder. Matteo let out a small smile "it's ok..and yeah.. your really cool..I just felt alot more c-comfortable talking to you too.." Matteo said before he took a bite out of his pancake. Carol just smiled before she soon patted his shoulder "well thank you for trusting me. Your a cool little fella as well." She said before she soon went ahead to eat her breakfast. Matteo smiled at her before he continued eating, they both where sitting in a comforting silence the rest of the time.

Small time skip

Matteo was in the meeting room along with everyone else who was in the compound. He was sitting in the corner of the room just watching everyone. Even though Nat "turned off" his hearing aids he turned them back on to listen to everyone since he wanted to know what happened to his sister.

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to earth." Rhodes said. Matteo just looked at everyone before he soon looked at the holograms showing everyone that had seemed to disappear. The youngster watched as he seen Snowy, Sam, and Wanda pop up on the screen. He felt tears in his eyes when he seen Wanda's picture on the screen. "World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census and it looks like he did." Nat said. Matteo just watched as he soon seen Peters picture pop up. He didn't know how to feel all he knew was whatever took them and by the sounds of it, they aren't coming back.

The 10 year old soon wiped his tears away and just crossed his arms and just watched everyone. He didn't really care at this point of listening to everyone all he wanted to do was wait and hear if they where going to get them all back. So he just looked outside to see if he can find birds, but he didn't see a single one in sight like in the last 23 days.

Matteo soon heard Tony starting to go at it and yell. He looked up and seen him going off at Steve. Matteo just watched before he seen him point to Carol. "We need you. You're new blood. Bunch of tire old miles I got nothing for you cap." Tony said as he soon walked over to Steve. Matteo just sat up a bit before he watched him, he then watched as he soon took off his medal piece from his chest. His eyes widened before he watched Tony soon give it to Steve "you find him, you put that on." Tony said. He soon looked over at Matteo for the first time since he got back from space. He then stopped talking and just looked back at everyone before he fell to the ground. "Tony." Steve said in a worried voice. "I'm fine. I-I'm.." Tony stuttered out before he soon passed out. Matteo felt his blood run cold as he remembered the look on Tony's face right when he seen him. The young boy watched as everyone went to help Tony but he stayed put and just acting as if he didn't hear anything or witness anything either.