Chapter 2- MIRA

MIRA'S POV:

NYU. One of the most prestigious universities in the world. NYU's campus includes more than 171 buildings spread between Manhattan and Brooklyn. Most of the school's buildings in Manhattan are located across a roughly 230-acre area bounded by Hudson Street to the south, Broadway to the east, 14th Street to the north, and Sixth Avenue to the west. The core of NYU consists of buildings that surround Washington Square Park. In addition to its New York campus, NYU has 49 additional buildings overseas located throughout two 'portal' campuses and 12 Global Academic Centers.

If I talked about how amazing this university was, I would have to write more than just one book about it. Students receive scholarships every year from NYU based on their merits. Other than scholarships, getting into NYU is done through Entrance Exams and PI.

There are approximately thousands of applications I receive each year, from which some individuals do get one step closer to their dreams, and some are rejected. I have seen a lot of defeated looks on the faces of the students as they walked out of the PI room when they get rejected. I feel bad. But I had no hands in it. I am doing my job. And hunting the best talents and giving them an opportunity to grow further is our motto.

Living in New York was always my dream. Coming from a country rich in a culture like India has always made me dream more. I wanted to be a part of this vast world. I wanted to travel and explore beautiful places. New York has always been at the top of my list.

4 years ago, when I left my hometown in India, I never thought that I would actually become a part of New York. I completed my master's in psychology and moved into student counselling. In reality, I do not remember if it was to meet new people or to manipulate them in order to find out the truth about them.

As a counsellor, I usually see visionary images of students' profiles. This is so that I can help them show off their positive sides and choose the right path for their future. A little guidance on the right path can take you towards the first step of success.

I have worked with a few universities in India, but the day I received the offer letter from NYU, I couldn't control myself from crying for joy. I always told my parents as a teenager that one day I would live in the big city of New York. It's one of the reasons I fell in love with the city because it gives me chills of inspiration.

If we look beyond the busy roads, corporates and tall buildings, New York is a place that could help us to find ourselves. I have always believed that growing up needs to be allowed one to grow oneself as well. The opportunities that New York offers are more than what a person could ask for.

I love watching sunsets in New York. From my 42nd-floor apartment, the sunsets looked beautiful. I miss home sometimes too. It would be impossible for the world to match the happiness India gives out in its air.

But it didn't just work that brought me here. I was running. I ran away from the past that devastated me, and I don't think I can ever be fully healed from it.

I walked into my office on the 5th floor of the C wing and put down my handbag and coat. It was long to be summer, but just not yet. Mid-December is quite cold. For me, summer has always been more enjoyable than winter. From my window, I watched students walking across campus. It was 9:30 am, and the students started to come for were preparing for their class.

At the end of this fall, there is a student exchange program at NYU, and I was given responsibility for their support. I need to make a proper report on their current University and compare what more we could offer to them. The PI will be held by the end of next week. This means 3 days from now.

TRING... TRING...

"Hello?" I asked through my telephone.

"Miss Mira, President Andrew Harold wants to see you in his office in 10 minutes," Martha said from the other end of the phone.