Chapter 28- Murder Suspect

MIRA'S POV:

"So, you are suggesting that we should put up some security on our campus as well?" Dr. Stephen asked me in front of the board.

A few days ago, when we go to know about the murder, I already had a discussion with Andrew, and he suggested that I should present the idea in front of the board as well. This will not only, help with campus security, but also will help my voice reach the right people.

I knew he always had my back. Just like my father.

"Given the situation in the city, we cannot just ignore it. For us, the safety of this university and its students is a priority. And we must do everything that is in our hands regarding the matter. Of course, this will also affect our investors, if they hear the news. And therefore, we must be prepared, so that no one can put fingers on NYU's reputation." I replied politely indicating my stance.

Not to my surprise, Kelly and his father were also present there. And I already have guessed a sense of mockery and objection towards me from them. That is what they were doing past four years. Nicarno Johnson Anderson was all cocky like his daughter, when he said, "but it is just some crime that happens in the city, like normal days we can't come up with anything new. Also, it will only redirect the expenses."

"Normal days? Have you not seen the news? Three murders in two months are quite higher than the normal crime rate in Manhattan in the last few years." I said stating my opinion. "And the last one coincidentally was very close to our campus, which we cannot ignore like this."

"What do you suggest?" Mr. Norman asked. He was one of the modest men on the board apart from Andrew. Well, if I have to be honest regarding the politics of NYU board members, there are more than just elite faces and attributes. The group was roughly divided into two gatherings. Among Andrew and Nicarno.

Though Andrew was the president, but Nicarno made sure in these years, to gain a few loyalties of his own. Not much, but enough.

"Well, sir, NYPD is taking care of the city and the cases, where all we can do is to spread a little awareness in the students. It is very likely that students do go out on weekends. At least they had been warned... And adding a few more security in the campus and dorms would likely made things under control. After all, all we want is to keep NYU's name clean from all kinds of gossip."

"And do you think they haven't heard the news and are waiting for our warnings?" Nicarno asked sitting up straight in his chair. "Moreover, this is not India, NY is much more independent than what you have grown up back home. We cannot just put security in every pillar and restricts the students from their basic freedom."

"I don't mean to imply that they haven't watched the news or restrict them from their basic needs. I am simply saying that if we take the initiative, we should warn them and maybe put a little more security so that everything stays in control. Safety precaution isn't something to restrict anyone from doing anything. It's about reminding the awareness and doing their work peacefully." I suggested. "In campus, at least they will be safe and it is more likely that they travel in a group, so one of every three people might take the warning and we can warn our students when they go out."

Nicarno's face tightened. He was a bottom feeder, but he was smart enough to recognize I had a point. He knew it could cause the project failure with Mr. Han if anything goes wrong. That would wipe millions off NYU's market value the last year, which was caused by his own daughter. If he's smart enough, he won't repeat that again.

But I guess he isn't the one to back down easily.

"Why do you make this sound like you are the only one who is thinking about this university and students? Moreover, the crime that happened last week was far from the campus. If we invite uninvited attention towards us this will only drag us and our university name into this. Let NYPD do their work and we must continue the work as it was." Nicarno spat like the bastard he is. It has always been like this. Whenever the attention slips from him, he is likely to get his attention back with taunting sarcasm.