Chapter 9- Nightlife

MIRA's POV:

"Okay, that's like twice in 15 days that Valeria is out on a hunt... What's gotten into you?"

I rolled my eyes at Nina who is currently sitting on my bed and looking at me with utter shock.

I was wearing a black satin Versace mermaid gown that slit down from my mid-thigh. I liked how it fit my curves and pushed my breasts and gave me an uplift. It was a deep neck.

"It's not a big deal Nina. I guess it's just a new year's vibe."

"Says the bossy man-woman"

"I hate when you sound mean" I frowned.

" I am not mean; I am just trying to understand why Valeria is up for tonight again. Aren't you done from the last week? I thought you want to keep this low until your next promotion."

"Not really. I am just venturing out for fun. I guess there's no harm in that. Also, I was feeling that I need to go out more. You were right, nobody would recognize it. And maybe also to watch someone" The last sentence was not audible to her.

"What?"

"Nothing. Are you sure you don't wanna come?" I asked looking back at her.

"Yep, I am sure. I am spending some time with David tonight."

"David- like the guy you have been seeing for a week now?"

"That's correct. He is a banker and he is from Paris. You know how much I love French guys... and French kisses" She smirked at the end. "Besides David is really sweet. I really wanna know him" She replied with a big shy smile flickering her cinnamon hair. I like how she treats her life, carefree. I wish I could do that.

"You sure?" I asked concernedly. For me, love is just a waste of time and playing with emotions. There is no way love can bond two people together. This will only weaken each other.

"Yes, Mira I am sure about David this time"

She looked like someone who was in love. And I am scared of that look.

"You said that last time with Aiden too, which then ended with you in my apartment crying and having a pile of ice cream and me listening to your heartbreak." I shoot a warning glare. I want her to think about her decisions. I would never like to see her breaking down as I did.

"Oh, come on Mira, Aiden was an asshole who choose to lie to me that he already has a wife at home. But David is different. He makes me laugh as no one could have till now. I just feel safe with him." She tells while looking lost in her thoughts. Probably David's.

"Okay. Whatever you say. I just don't want you to get hurt." I tell honestly. I don't. She is the only family I have here besides Andrew and Jennifer. I don't wanna lose them. Ever.

"I won't. I promise." She smiled while her eyes glistered a little. She gave me a giant bear hug before telling "Now you, you might get late. Have a good new year, Mira"

"You too, Nina"

I get back to getting myself together for tonight. I completed my makeup and pulled my hair into a sleek ponytail. Additionally, I wore a golden necklace that hung down to my cleavage. I sprayed a few sprays of perfume that completed my look for the day. I didn't forget to pull over my white beaver coat. It was still fucking cold at the beginning of the year. The new year was just a few days ago... But people would still be crowded in the club. However, since I have never been to this one, it's better to be on the safe side.

I took a bid from Nina as she drove to David's house tonight. They were having a get-together. She says that he wants to introduce her to some friends. Which sounds cute, but I only pray that this won't end up badly. I know she'd break down again. David seems like a kind guy based on her words. But in order to judge an individual, I have to meet him in person.