Chapter 19- Lecture Hall

MIRA'S POV:

"The Great Gatsby: The Great Gatsby, the third novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, was published in 1925 by Charles Scribner's Sons. Set in Jazz Age New York, the novel tells the tragic story of Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire, and his pursuit of Daisy Buchanan, a wealthy young woman whom he loved in his youth.

Story Plot: The moral of The Great Gatsby is that the American Dream is ultimately unattainable. Jay Gatsby had attained substantial wealth and status as a socialite; however, Gatsby's dream was to have a future with his one true love, Daisy, which remained unattended."

As a substitute, I was taking the English creative writing class in replacement of Miss Lin. Due to her sudden unprepared leave regarding some family issues, I was currently filling her in. It was last minute, so we couldn't allot any other teacher right away.

The class is full of students who are attentively listening to me right now as we are currently reading the all-time great novel The Great Gatsby.

Creative writing has always been my favourite for some reason. I can't remember whether I enjoyed the writing or if it was the inner meanings, they tried to convey in the story that really impressed me. I guess both.

I took a few classes during my stay at NYU, in the creative writing section whenever we needed to fill in for some professors who were on unnoticed leave. Hence it was not that awkward. Partially Andrew trusted me because he has seen my writings. Accidentally though. But still, other than anyone, he knew I could do this better. I am glad he thought that.

Although it was an absolute headache to teach these kids, somewhere I enjoyed this too. It is fascinating to see Kelly's face down, whenever they prefer me over here.

"So... tell me what do you understand by this novel The Great Gatsby?" I asked the students, looking up as I closed the book. But nobody made any noise.

I looked at the crowd that remained silent. Some faces looked bored, some look like they don't care, and are here just for the sake of as they had to and very few looked like they were in the class. Different faces, different intentions.

Occasionally, I wonder why they joined the class. It was either to fill in their majors with extra marks or just to take up creative writing to get their asses saved in the finals. There were not many students who actually loved it.

Many wouldn't know.

One of them raised her hands and I saw it was none other than Bellamy. The girl I encountered in my office a few days back was the one Alex teased me with and then after it led to something which brought us here now. But to be honest there was something else that caught my attention about Bellamy.

She was young and beautiful. Her brown hair suited her little face. Moreover, her academics were stellar. She was filling out her major in BioChem and, surprisingly, she took her minor in Creative Writing. I wonder what made her choose awkward subjects. In short, she is an overboard unpredictable kid, who seeks the comfort of others' attention.

"Yes, Miss Mor," I replied while allowing her to speak.

"I think this story depicts the immense love Gatsby had for Daisy. No matter what he did, he showed the best that he could for Daisy. Fitzgerald illustrates beautifully in his writings that love can motivate us to do all sorts of things for our one true love, even though the end is sorrowful. No matter how far we have to travel, we still have to."

Her answers were indeed good, but childish and basic. I was looking for something more. I wonder if Miss Lin could teach them more than what books can offer. I guess I have to find out myself.