Chapter 35- Fault

MIRA'S POV:

As I walked inside the campus, I saw the students laughing and giggling with their friends or boyfriends or side chicks. They seemed happy and cheerful. I smiled to see them doing well. But the very next vision kinda churns my stomach from the cereal I had earlier.

A student sat on his knees to propose to the girl and she looks so shocked... and happy. Jesus, please let me be blind for some time, will you? I said I need some time. Not to keep pressuring me.

Well, I tried to avert my mind. The morning was bright and sunny. It was already March and the summer is almost hitting the weather. The morning was quite cheerful and energetic than before. But what this weather couldn't change is the rambling of those thunderstorms in my brain.

Even though I was trying hard to pretend that everything is okay, I know nothing was okay at all. Not me, not the situation. Nothing. Plus, now I had to deal with Kelly today. God, how I wish I could just skip today, but I can't. Not when the deal we signed, is finally on the way to establish a mark on NYU.

I can't mix up my personal life with work. That's not like me.

Today I have a few meetings regarding student profiles and a few files to fax to headquarters. The finance team need to check on last month's revenue, which somehow seemed altered by some upper hand. If my guess wasn't wrong, Nicarno has something to do with this. I have seen him in the account building quite a few times, also bribing Mrs. Rose, our accountant. However, I don't have proof yet, and until I have any, I cannot make any move. So, the best option right now is to raise a query and send the files to the head of management, to re-check. I am sure, they'd find some clue.

Apart from those, I have to send the invitation to the council for its meeting in South Korea in a few days. Mr. Han wanted me to come over with the second proposal, for our expansion. I had the presentation ready. Also, the list of students that were supposed to be sent out for internships was to be done by this weekend. The day was indeed busy.

So, without wasting much time, I began to work on my desk. Alex had an exam today, so probably I will get a day off from him, to think about everything. Maybe I need some more time for that. But without Alex, I don't think I could make any. I need him for my system to work correctly.

"Hey, bestie..." Nina's voice cracked through the peaceful room. I looked up at her and she had a cheerful smile on her face, as always.

"Hi, bestie..." I smiled back. It has been almost over a week since I haven't seen her. Well, a part of it is because we both agreed to spend time with someone we like. And I could tell from her face, she was doing pretty well.

"Guess what?" She asked being all excited... While making herself comfortable on my opposite chair. Luckily, Kelly was out for some work today and we could actually use the time with some bitching or girl's talk. I need her now.

Maybe her presence could do all better.

I pushed Alex, at the back of my mind for some time, as I wanted to give my attention to Nina. Also, I didn't get the time to tell her about the whole president selection thing, that Andrew said earlier. We both have so much to catch up on. I will tell her after she completes it. First, I have to deal with... whatever is going on here.

"What?" I asked, my brow furrowed in confusion and curiosity. To be honest, it has been over two months, since we didn't have a proper girl's talk. I guess I missed out on many things.

"David just proposed to me..." she squealed in joy, showing off the ring her fiancé gave her.

My face dropped and a bile rose in my throat making me hard to breathe. Once again, I was reminded of the burden, I am carrying on my shoulder for the past four years. That part of me, which I pushed inside a small metal box, locking it away. What is wrong with everyone today? Can't I just spend one morning peacefully, without thinking a hundred ways to shut my overthinking mind?