12. Shadow

Sam, Dean and Zach stopped their car across the street and got out, dressed as employees of the alarm company. Dean got a toolbox from the trunk of the car and they proceeded towards the apartment.

"All right, Dean, Zach. This is the place," Sam said.

Dean frowned. "You know, I've gotta say, Dad and me did just fine without these stupid costumes. I feel like a high school drama dork." He smiled. "What was that play you did? What was it -- Our Town. Yeah, you were good, it was cute."

"Look, you wanna pull this off or not?"

"I'm just sayin', these outfits cost hard-earned money, okay?"

"Whose?"

"Ours. You think credit card fraud is easy?"

They, along with the landlady, entered the apartment.

"Thanks for lettin' us look around," Sam said.

"Well, the police said they were done with the place, so..." she trailed as she and Sam moved further into the room. Zach followed close behind. Dean shut the apartment door and noticed the chain on the door was broken. He followed Sam and Zach. In the living room, spots of blood covered the carpet. "You guys said you were here with the alarm company?"

"That's right," Dean confirmed.

"Well, no offense, but your alarm's about as useful as boobs on a man."

The brothers exchanged a look before Zach said, "Well, that's why we're here. To see what went wrong and stop it from happening again."

"Now, ma'am, you found the body?" Sam asked.

"Yeah," the landlady replied.

"Right after it happened?"

"No. Few days later. Meredith's work called -- she hadn't shown up. I knocked on the door. That's when I noticed the smell."

"Any windows open?" Dean questioned. "Any sign of break-in?"

"No, windows were locked, front door was bolted. Chain on the door, we had to cut it just to get in."

"And the alarm was still on?"

"Like I said, bang-up job your company's doin'."

"Mmhmm. You see any overturned furniture, broken glass, signs of struggle?" The landlady shook her head.

"Everything was in perfect condition -- except Meredith."

"And what condition was Meredith in?" Sam asked.

"Meredith was all over. In pieces. The guy who killed her must have been some kind of a whackjob. But I tell you, if I didn't know any better, I'd have said a wild animal did it." Dean looked at his brothers.

"Ma'am, do you mind if we take some time? Give this place a once-over?"

"Oh, well, go right ahead. Knock yourself out."

After the landlady left, Dean opened his toolbox and removed the EMF meter.

"So, a killer walks in and out of the apartment -- no weapons, no prints, nothin'."

"I'm tellin' ya, the minute Zach and I found that article, we knew this was our kind of gig." The EMF meter beeped frantically.

"I think I agree with you two."

"So, you talked to the cops?" Zach asked.

"Uh, yeah." Dean smirked. "I spoke to Amy, a, uh, charming perky officer of the law."

"Yeah? What'd you find out?" Sam questioned.

Dean said dreamily, "Well, she's a Sagittarius. She loves tequila, I mean -- wow. Oh, and she's got this little tattoo-"