52. Long Distance Call

INT. A COLD RAIN LASHES A LARGE COMFORTABLE HOUSE

A man was in his study. He poured a whiskey and walked back and forth, looking worried. The phone rang and he jerked. He stared at it for a long moment then moved to pick it up. The phone's display showed 'SHA33'.

"Hello," the man said.

"Ben," the woman called.

"Linda."

"Ben, I had to talk to you..."

"You can't keep calling here."

"I know. I know, just... just tell me you thought about it please."

"There's nothing to think about."

"Don't say that."

"I can't. You know I can't. My wife..."

"I'm begging you, come to me. Come to me, Ben."

"No."

He hung up. The phone immediately started ringing again. Ben picked it up. "Linda. Please. Please leave me alone."

"I'm not going to stop. I miss you, Ben. We could be happy. We could be happy together."

"This is... this is crazy."

"I love you! Forever. Don't you love me?"

"You know I do. More than anything. I'm sorry."

"Ben, wait..."

Ben hung up. The phone rang again. Ben picked up the receiver and slammed it back down a number of times, then threw the whole phone across the room, the cord ripping out of the wall. Ben rubbed his face and stared at nothing.

After a few moments the phone started ringing again. Ben looked shattered. He slowly opened the desk draw and took out a handgun. He stared at it for a few seconds then took a deep breath.

"Okay, Linda. You win."

He stared at the ceiling, then lifted the gun and placed the barrel against his throat, pointing upwards. He cocked it.

"I'm coming."

The phone screen spun through letter and numbers and again landing on SHA33. A gunshot was heard, then the thud of something hitting the ground.

---

Sam walked across a city square towards Dean and Zach sitting on a bench.

Dean said into the phone, "Yep. I got it. Okay, bye."

Dean hung up then in one motion picked up and threw an unopened can of soda to Sam, handed one to Zach, stood and shoved the last of the food he was eating into his mouth.

As Dean chewed, he asked, "So?"

"So, the professor doesn't know crap," Sam replied.

"Shocking. Pack your panties, Sammy, we're hitting the road."

"What? What's up?"

"That was Bobby. Some banker guy blew his head off in Ohio and he and Lily think there's a spirit involved."

"So you two were talking a case?"

"No, we were actually talking about our feelings. And then our favorite boy bands. Yeah, we were talking a case!"

"So a spirit, what?"

"Yeah, the banker was talking about some sort of electrical problems at his pad for like a week. Phone was going haywire, computer was flipping on and off."