73. Jump the Shark

HALLWAY - NIGHT

Next to a window was a table with a lamp and two photographs; one was of a young man and a woman, Adam and Kate Milligan. Kate ran into the table, looking back fearfully. She shrieked and ran down the hallway. She looked back and kept running.

"No! Go away!" Kate cried.

She got into her bedroom and locked the door behind her.

BEDROOM

Kate, who was wearing a coat over blue scrubs, leaned against the door as someone pounded on it.

The pounding abruptly stopped.

Kate waited a moment, breathing hard, and shoved the dresser in front of the door. She relaxed a bit and walked backwards towards her bed. Someone else was under the bed.

She sat on the bed, still breathing hard and said, "Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, God. It's okay. It's okay."

Kate yelled as she was grabbed by her ankle and pulled, getting dragged to the floor. She was dragged under the bed. Kate screamed, grabbing at the floor. She grabbed at the nightstand before she went under, knocking it over and knocking a picture to the floor; it was of John Winchester.

MIDDLE OF NOWHERE - LAKESIDE

The Impala was parked next to a lake. Sam was leaning against the hood, brushing his teeth. Zach stood next to him, texting Lily. Dean was lying across the front seat, head and shoulders up against the door. Dean twisted around, getting Sam and Zach's attention and opened the door, which nearly dumped him on the ground.

"Hey," Sam greeted. "How'd you sleep?"

Dean climbed out of the car. "How do you think? I'm starving. Let's get breakfast."

"Where? We're like two hours from anything."

"But I'm hungry now."

Dean came around the front of the car.

"There's probably still a sandwich in the backseat," Sam informed.

Dean turned, rubbed a hand over his face, reached in through the open back window, and pulled out a paper bag. He opened the bag and sniffed, then leaned his head back and inhaled. "It's tuna."

A phone rang inside the car. Dean tossed the bag onto the backseat and put his to his jeans pocket, as did Zach. Sam spit out toothpaste foam. Dean leaned in through the front window and rummaged in the glove compartment and pulled out the ringing phone. Dean hit his head on the roof as he tried to get out, and glared at a laughing Zach before looking at the phone.

"Isn't that Dad's phone?" Sam asked.

Dean flipped the phone open, pressed a button, put it to his ear, and said, "Hello?"

A young man, Adam Milligan, answered. "Uh, is this John?"

"He can't come to the phone. Can I help you?"

"No no no - I really - I need to talk to John. This is Adam Milligan. He knows me."

"Well, sorry to be the one to break this to you, pal, but John died more than two years ago." A shocked sound came from the other line. "Who is this?"

"I'm his son."

Dean stared.

WINDOM, MINNESOTA

The Impala parked next to Cousin Oliver's Hilltop Café.

A van went past.

Dean, Sam and Zach got out of the car.