58. Metamorphosis

INT. 425 WATERMAN - NIGHT

Sam walked a man towards the door when Dean and Zach opened it, causing Sam to stop in his tracks. Dean looked quite angry and Zach looked angry as well, though seemingly a little less so.

"So... Anything you wanna tell me, Sam? Anything you'd like to bring Zach up to speed on?" Dean questioned.

Sam looked innocent and Ruby stood behind him, watching Dean and Zach who walked towards him.

"Dean, Zach, hold on," Sam said. "Just let me-"

Dean cut him off. "You gonna say, "let me explain"? You're gonna explain this? How about this? Why don't you start with who she is, and what the hell is she doing here?"

He looked at his brother hard while Sam turned back and looked at Ruby who looked completely calm and smiled.

"It's good to see you and Zach again, Dean," Ruby commented.

"Ruby?" She smiled a little and Dean looked back at his brother. "Is that Ruby?"

Sam didn't respond and Dean looked at Ruby again, whose smile was fading. After a moment, Dean grabbed hold of her and shoved her up against the wall. He pulled out her knife.

As Dean was about to strike, Sam grabbed his hand and yelled, "Don't!"

The brothers struggled for the knife. Sam got it out of Dean's hand into his own just as Dean threw him up against the wall. Zach pushed Sam back just before Ruby grabbed Dean and pinned him against the wall he'd had her against seconds earlier.

"Ruby! Stop it!" Sam cried. "Zach, don't!"

Ruby stared into Dean's eyes, also eyeing Zach warily, and she kept a chokehold with her right hand while he stared back, angry. Finally she let go and he rose to his full height.

Dean looked at Sam, then Ruby before saying, "Well, aren't you an obedient little bitch?"

Ruby didn't respond, but it was clear she wanted to attack him again.

"Ruby," Sam called. She stared between Dean and Zach for a few moments, then looked at Sam. "Ruby, he's hurt." He indicated the man who'd been possessed. "Go."

She gave Dean one more look and glanced at Zach before turning and walking towards the man. As Dean and Zach watched her, she put the man's arm over her shoulder, ready to leave.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Dean demanded.

"The ER... unless you and brother want to go another round first," Ruby replied.

Zach scoffed and spat, "Watch it, you black-eyed bitch."

Dean said nothing and Ruby walked out with the man. Dean turned to look at Sam who was watching him.

"Dean," Sam called as Dean walked to the door he came through, followed by Zach, leaving him behind. "Dean! Zach!"

INT. MOTEL ROOM - DAY

Sam was sitting at the table, reading a book. The Impala pulled up outside and Dean and Zach entered a few moments later. Zach eyed Sam suspiciously while Dean didn't look at Sam as he walked right into the room. Sam had gotten out of his chair the minute Dean and Zach had entered. Dean grabbed his bag and began packing his stuff.

Sam walked towards his brother. "Dean, what are you doing?" Dean ignored him and continued packing. "What are you, are you leaving?"

"You don't need me," Dean replied. "You and Ruby go fight demons. I'll do my own thing with Zach, maybe Lily." He grabbed his bag and started for the door. Sam stood in the way so Dean had to go around him.