28. Hunted

LAKESIDE

"Before Dad died he, he told me and Dean something -- something about you," Zach said.

"What? Zach, what did Dad tell you?" Sam asked.

Dean looked at Sam. "He said that he wanted me to watch out for you two, to take care of you two."

Sam frowned. "He told you that a million times."

Zach shook his head. "No, this time was different. He said that we had to save you."

"Save me from what?"

"He just said that Dean and I had to save you, that nothing else mattered; and that if we couldn't, we'd..."

"You'd what?" Sam and Lily pressed.

"That Zach and I'd have to kill you," Dean finished. "He said Zach and I might have to kill you, Sammy."

"Kill me?" Sam repeated. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know."

"I mean, he must have had some kind of reason for saying it, right? Did he know the demon's plans for me? Am I supposed to go Darkside or something? What else did he say, Dean, Zach?"

Zach shook his head. "Nothing, that's it, I swear."

"How could you two not have told me this? Or have not told Lily this?"

"Because it was Dad, and he begged us not to," Dean said.

"Who cares?! Take some responsibility for yourself, Dean! You as well, Zach! You two had no right to keep this from me or Lily!"

"You think Zach and I wanted this? Huh? We wish to God he'd never opened his mouth. Then we wouldn't have to walk around with this screaming in our head all day."

Sam turned and took a few steps away, fuming. "We've just got to figure out what's going on, then, what the hell this all means."

"We do? Zach and I've been thinking about this, we think we should just lay low. You know? At least for awhile. It'd be safe. And that way we can make sure-"

"What? That I don't turn evil? That I don't turn into some kind of killer?"

"I never said that."

"Jeez, if you're not careful, you will have to waste me one day, Dean."

"I never said that! Damn it, Sam, this whole thing is spinning out of control. All right? You're immune to some weirdo demon virus, and Zach, Lily and I don't even know what the hell anymore. And you're pissed at me and Zach, I get it. That's fine, I deserve it. But we lay low until we figure out our next move, okay?"

"Forget it."

"Sam please, man," Zach said. "Hey, please. Just give me some time. Give us some time to think, okay? I'm begging you here, please. Please."

Sam nodded reluctantly and looked at Lily.

Lily sighed. "I'll come with you, make sure you're okay. See you soon, Dean, Zach."

Sam and Lily left the motel room, a bag over their shoulders. They walked quietly past the Impala to a small black car. He opened the door with a coat hanger, looked around, and got in, as did Lily, before driving away.

CABIN

Sam and Lily were standing outside a dark house, holding a piece of motel stationary from The Blue Rose Motel, with an address written on it. They approached the house cautiously. He picked the lock and the two entered; the house was dark. As they passed through the doorway, they tripped a wire at floor level, which triggered a grenade. It exploded and they screamed. Their smoking boots dissolved into a flash of light.