87. Sam, Interrupted

GLENWOOD SPRINGS PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL - KETCHUM, OKLAHOMA

INT. DR. FULLER'S OFFICE

Dr. Fuller looked through a file while Dean sat across from him. Sam was sitting next to Dean and Zach was sitting on the other side of Sam.

Dr. Fuller looked back at his file. "You were referred to me by a Dr. Babar in Chicago."

"That's right," Dean said.

"Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?"

"I don't know. I don't have any elephant books. Look, doctor, I-I-I think the doc was in over his head with this one." He pointed at Sam. "'Cause my brother is..." He made a crazy sign by circling his finger at the side of his head and whistled while Zach nodded for effect.

Dr. Fuller raised a hand. "Okay, fine, thank you. That's - that's not really necessary." He grabbed his file and notepad. "Why don't you tell me how you're feeling, Alex?"

Sam sighed. "I'm fine. I mean, okay, a little depressed, I guess."

"Okay. Any idea why?"

"Probably because I started the apocalypse."

Dr. Fuller looked up at him. "The apocalypse."

"Yeah, that's right."

He looked at Dean, who smiled, then turned to Kennedy, who kept staring blankly. "And you think you started it?"

"Well, yeah, I mean... I killed this demon, Lilith, and I accidentally freed Lucifer from Hell. So now, he's topside, and we're trying to stop him."

Dr. Fuller looked at Dean and Zach who looked exasperated. "Who is?"

"Me. A-and him. And him." He pointed to his brothers. "And this one angel."

"Oh, you mean, like... like an angel on your shoulder."

"No. His name is Castiel. He wears a trench coat."

Dr. Fuller resumed taking notes.

"See what I mean, Doc?" Dean said. "The kid's been beating himself up about this for months. The apocalypse wasn't his fault."

Dr. Fuller looked up at Dean, stunned. "It's not?"

"No. There was this other demon, Ruby. She got him addicted to demon blood, and near the end, he was practically chugging the stuff."

Dr. Fuller looked at Sam, who looked ashamed, then looked back at Dean.

Dean continued, "Our brother's not evil. He was just... high... yeah? So, could you fix him up so we can get back to traveling around the country and hunting monsters?"

Dr. Fuller put up a finger for them to wait. He picked up his phone and dialed an extension. "Irma... cancel my lunch."

As the doctor hung up, Dean and Zach patted Sam comfortingly on the arm.

INT. HALLWAY

A happy nurse led Sam, Dean and Zach down a hall. "Doctor Fuller would like to keep you each under observation for a couple of days."

"Each?" Dean repeated. "Me and her, too?"

"Yes, Sugar. The doctor thinks that would be best."

Sam, Zach and Dean gave each other victorious smiles.

INT. CHECK-UP ROOM

Happy Nurse wrapped a blood pressure cuff around Dean's right arm. "All right, I'm just gonna give you a little check-up."