36. What Is and What Should Never Be

IMPALA

Dean's phone rang and he answered. "Yeah?"

MOTEL ROOM

"There's a cop car outside," Sam said.

"You think it's for us?"

"I don't know."

INT. IMPALA

Dean frowned. "I don't see how. I mean, we ditched the plates, the credit cards."

MOTEL ROOM

The cop car drove away and Sam and Zach let out a breath. "They're leaving. False alarm."

"You see. Nothing to worry about," Dean reassured.

"Yeah, being fugitives? Freaking dance party," Sam shot back.

IMPALA

"Hey man, chicks dig the danger vibe."

MOTEL ROOM

Sam and Zach were standing in front of books. They were all about a demon called a Djinn, and on top of them was John's journal, open on the same subject.

"So, you got anything yet?"

IMPALA

"Are you kidding me? How could I? You two got me sifting through like 50 square miles of real estate here."

MOTEL ROOM

"Well, that's where all the victims disappeared."

IMPALA

"Yeah well, I get at least squat. What about you two?"

MOTEL ROOM

"Just one thing. I'm pretty sure of it now." He pulled one book closer. "We're hunting a Djinn."

IMPALA

"A freaking genie?" Dean asked.

"Yeah."

"What? You think these suckers can really grant wishes?"

MOTEL ROOM

Zach sighed. "Sam and I don't know. I guess they're powerful enough. But not exactly like Barbara Eden and the harem pants. I mean, Djinn have been feeding off people for centuries. They're all over the Koran."

IMPALA

"My God. Barbara Eden was hot, wasn't she? Way hotter than that Betwitched chick."

MOTEL ROOM

"Are you even listening to us?" Sam asked.

IMPALA

"Yeah. So uh, what do the Djinns lair at?"

MOTEL ROOM

"Ruins usually. Uh. Bigger the better, more places to hide."

IMPALA

"Yeah, I think I saw a place a couple miles back. I'm gonna go check it out."

MOTEL ROOM

"No, no, no, no. Come pick us up first."

IMPALA

"No. I'm sure it's nothing. I just wanna take a look around."

Dean hung up the phone.

MOTEL ROOM

Sam lowered his hand holding the phone and sighed. Zach let out an frustrated sigh.

FACTORY

The Impala pulled up to a factory and almost came to a stop.

Dean entered the factory, seeing that it was empty. Dean looked back and forth a few times, then started walking back in the same direction he'd come from, but in the hall. On his right, among all the old things and such, he passed a figure. He didn't see it and continued walking. Suddenly, the figure attacked him, pinning him against the window wall. He dropped his flashlight and the Djinn forced Dean to drop his knife. The Djinn opened its left hand and it began to glow blue, his eyes doing the same. It put its glowing hand on Dean's forehead and Dean's eyes rolled up as they became a washed-out blue.