72. The Monster at the End of This Book

CHUCK'S HOME - NIGHT

Chuck was sprawled on a couch, sleeping with papers clutched to his chest. The coffee table was littered with unfinished food and drinks. He was in the throes off an intense dream about Sam, Dean, Zach, the Impala, and himself.

COMIC BOOK SHOP - DAY

A man took a comic book off the shelf. Dean, Sam and Zach entered the shop. The boys were in suits and long black coats; FBI costumes. The man behind the counter looked up as they approached and took out their badges.

"Uh... can I help you?" the man behind the counter asked.

"Sure hope so," Dean replied. "Agents DeYoung, Shaw and Sucherman. Just need to ask you a few questions."

"Notice anything strange in the building, last couple of days?" Sam questioned.

"Like what?" the man behind the counter wondered.

"Well, some other tenants reported flickering lights," Zach explained.

"Uh, I don't think so. Why?"

"What about noises?" Sam questioned. "Any skittering in the walls? Kind of like rats?"

The man behind the counter looked at them skeptically. "And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?"

"What about cold spots? Feel any sudden drops in temperature?"

The man behind the counter grinned. "I knew it! You guys are LARPing, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?" Dean asked.

"You're fans."

"Fans of what?" Sam and Zach questioned.

"What is "LARPing"?" Dean wondered.

"Like you don't know," the man behind the counter said, seeing their confused looks. "Live-Action-Role-Play! And pretty hardcore, too."

Zach's brow furrowed. "We got no idea what you're talking about."

"You're asking questions like the building's haunted. Like those guys and girl from the books. What are they called? Uh... "Supernatural." Three guys, sometimes joined by a girl, use fake IDs with rock aliases, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names? Uh... Steve, Zane and Dirk? Uh, Sal, Zion and Dane?"

"Sam, Zach and Dean?" Sam asked.

"That's it!"

"You're saying this is a book?" Dean questioned.

"Books. It was a series. Didn't sell a lot of copies, though. Kind of had more of an underground cult following." He went over to a table labeled "Bargain Bin" and the brothers followed. "Let's see. Um... Ah. Yeah." He handed Dean a book. "That's the first one, I think."

Dean read the cover of the book. ""Supernatural" by Carver Edlund." He flipped the book over and read the back cover. ""Along a lonely California highway, a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths.""

"Give me that," Sam demanded, taking the book from Dean.

Zach looked at the man. "We're gonna need all the copies of "Supernatural" you got."

MOTEL ROOM

Dean was reclining on one of the beds, flipping through a book and frowning. Zach was on the other bed, reading another book, a blank look on her face. Sam was seated by the window with his laptop.

"This is freakin' insane," Dean said. "How's this guy know all this stuff?"

"You got me," Sam replied.