91. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

EXT. DINER - SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA - DAY

Sam, Zach and Dean got out of the Impala.

Sam spoke on the phone. "Bobby, listen, when you get this message, call! Okay?"

Zach left a message for Lily. "Pick up your phone and call us, honey. All right?"

Dean glanced at him. "Are they still not home? How far could he get in that chair?"

Sam shrugged. "Lily could be pushing his chair."

Zach rolled his eyes and huffed.

INT. DINER

"So, what do we do?" Sam asked.

"Well... Guess we just do it ourselves," Dean replied.

They sat at a table opposite a man.

"Mr. Wells, why don't you tell us what you saw in your own words," Dean said.

"Call me Digger," Digger told them.

"Digger? Who gave you that name?"

"I did."

Dean frowned. "You gave yourself a nickname? You can't do that."

"Who died and made you queen?"

Sam said, "Okay. Uh, why don't you just tell us what you saw?"

"I saw Clay Thompson climb into Benny Sutton's trailer through the window," Digger replied. "Couple minutes later, Clay walked out, and Benny's dead."

"And, uh.." Zach held up a photo, "...Is this the guy you saw?"

Digger looked at the photo. "Well, he was all covered with mud, but, yeah. That's Clay."

"And are you aware that Clay Thompson died five years ago?" Sam questioned.

"Yep."

"And you're positive it was this guy," Dean said.

"You calling me a liar?"

"No, no, no," Sam replied quickly. "Of course not. Look. Can you think of any reason why Clay Thompson, alive or dead, would want to kill Benny Sutton?"

"Hell, yeah. Well, five years ago, Benny's the one that killed Clay in the first place."

"Is that a fact?" Dean and Zach asked.

"Well, yeah, so-called "hunting accident." Now, if you ask me... Clay came back from the grave to get a little payback."

"Go on."

Sheriff Jody Mills entered the diner, talking on a cell phone. "Owen, put down the cupcake and pick up an apple... Okay? Okay. I love you."

"Heads up," Digger noted. ""Fargo.""

"Digger," Sheriff Mills said.

"Sheriff," Digger greeted.

"Gentlemen. I'm Sheriff Jody Mills. I don't believe we've had the pleasure."

"Agents Dorfman, Kroger and Neidermeyer, FBI," Dean told her.

"Welcome to Sioux Falls, gentlemen. Can I ask what you're doing with Digger here?"

"They're doing their job," Digger explained. "They believe me, Sheriff."

Sheriff Mills frowned. "The FBI believes a dead man committed a murder?"

"Look, we're just asking a few questions, Sheriff. That's all," Sam reassured.

"Of course, if a dead man didn't commit the murder, then, uh, who did?" Zach questioned.