19. In My Time of Dying

The demon-possessed truck driver stepped out of his truck and walked over. John, Dean and Zach were unconscious. Sam swallowed, barely awake. The demon pulled the driver's side door off its hinges and Sam pointed the Colt at him.

"Back," Sam demanded. "Or I'll kill you, I swear to God."

"You won't," the demon said. "You're saving the bullet for someone else."

Sam cocked the gun. "You wanna bet?"

The demon smiled before black smoke poured from the man, who collapsed. Sam uncocked the gun and dropped his head back in relief.

"Oh, my God!" the man cried.

"Dad?" Sam called.

"Did I do this?"

"Dad! Dean? Zach? Dean! Zach!"

The next morning, a rescue helicopter arrived on scene.

The four were being loaded onto stretchers. John, Dean and Zach were still unconscious, Sam was awake.

One paramedic looked over Dean. "Significant passenger side intrusion. Unresponsive. BP is 180 over 60, heart rate 95."

Another paramedic looked over Zach. "Another significant passenger side intrusion. Also unresponsive. BP is 175 over 55, heart rate 93."

"Tell me if they're okay!" Sam cried.

"You have to stay still!" a female paramedic told him.

"Are they even still alive?"

HOSPITAL

In his room, Dean sat up, worked his jaw, and got out of bed. He was wearing a white T-shirt, hospital pants and nothing else.

He went into the hallway. "Sam? Dad? Zach? Anybody?"

Zach walked up and waved. "Hey, man. I was wondering when you'd show. I've been walking around for awhile trying to figure things out."

"Dude, what the hell is going on?"

"No clue. But I say we find out."

They went down the stairs to the front of the hospital and found a nurse's station.

Dean said, "Excuse me. Hi. I, uh, I think my brother and I were in a car accident, our dad and our brother, we just need to find them." The nurse was unresponsive. "Hello?" He snapped his fingers before going upstairs, panicked, and found himself and Zach intubated on their beds, dying.

Sam entered Dean and Zach's room. He stopped at the door and stared at his brothers' bodies, breathing heavily.

"Sammy!" Dean exclaimed. "You look good. Considering."

"Oh, no," Sam said.

"Man, tell us you can hear us,"  Zach said.

"How's Dad?" Dean asked. "Is he okay? Come on, you're the psychic. Give us some ghost whispering or something!"

The doctor entered. "Your father's awake. You can go see him if you like."

"Thank God," Dean and Zach mumbled.

"Doc, what about my brothers?" Sam asked.

"Well, they sustained serious injury; blood loss, contusions to their livers and kidneys," the doctor informed. "But it's the head trauma I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema."

"Well, what can we do?"

"Well, we won't know their full condition until they wake up. If they wake up."