Wattpad Original
There are 76 more free parts

purpose

noun ~ the reason for which something is done

"Oh, Nova." Pollux sighed.

My lower lip wobbled and my head fell into my hands as I sobbed again. He was next to me in a heartbeat, his hand coming to rest on my shoulder. I sensed his hesitance in comforting me but after a particularly loud, gut aching sob left my lips, he pulled me to his chest. Still in a ball, my knees to my chest, I fell into my brother's embrace.

He sighed softly, his hand coming to play with my hair as his cheek rested on my head. He stroked his fingers through the strands, humming a soft tune as the time went on. I was sure his shirt was drenched with how long he held me, my arms clinging to the back and sides of his top with vigour.

"I'm sorry he left." He mumbled when my loud sobs quietened. "Whatever you said, must've been hard for him. He came to me fuming with anger, I nearly shat my pants."

A small, breathy laugh escaped me at his description. Pollux wasn't scared of Phoenix; he was too full of himself for that.

"He told me you needed me, before going towards the dungeons." He sighed. "His wolf was in complete control; Phoenix will come round. He will be back before you know it."

I sniffled, loosening my grip on his shirt as I dropped my head into his lap. His hand fell from my head to my shoulder, rubbing it softly.

"I hope so," I whispered.

I lay in Pollux's arms for a while. Now I had calmed down enough to have coercive thoughts, I sought Phoenix out through the bond, only to be alarmed when I found it closed. He never shut it completely, there was always an open door to his mind.

Shooting up from Pollux's lap, he let out a cry of surprise. Turning to him, I gave him a sheepish look, wiping my face from the sticky tears.

"Sorry." I exhaled heavily.

"It's okay... What's up? You finally calmed down?" He wondered, a softness to his face.

"He's shut me out," I grumbled.

"Well, he has gone on a rampage." He muttered.

My sad emotions in check, I felt a new determination form in the pit of my belly. He had stormed out to take out his anger on something, someone, and I had a feeling I knew exactly where he had gone. Pollux noticed my shift in expression but I saw him raise from beside me.

Catching my attention, he gave me a stern, parental glare. "Don't."

"What?" I furrowed my brows.

"I know that look."

"What look?" I huffed.

"You're going to go find him." He cocked his head, studying me. "You can switch your emotions like a light these days."

I narrowed my eyes at him, I'd been rumbled.

"He has shut me out, someone needs to calm him down before he does something he regrets." I pointed out. "Phoenix's past can easily overtake him when he is overwhelmed, it's a ticking time bomb sometimes. It's why I struggled to tell him what happened to me."

He hummed, crossing his arms. "Are you sure that's the only reason?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you sure it's not deeper than that?" He questioned. "You say it's because you feared his reaction, but I know, and I think you know that it's because you were repressing it and ignoring it. Bringing it up again was going to hurt you, that's why."

I grumbled, dropping my eyes to stare at my shoes. Of course, ever the intelligent and cockily so brother of mine, had rumbled me once again. He knew me so well, it was peculiar that he connected himself to me so quickly. I eyed him curiously, and his stern look turned disturbed.