Wattpad Original
There are 29 more free parts

BONUS ~ unfamiliar

adjective ~ not known or recognised

PHOENIX

I was so deep in calibrating a what-if scenario with my guards that I did not even notice Nova's agitation. Her claws sinking into my skin, jolted me from the mind link, sending the members of the plane staggering.

"I'm sorry, my love." I breathed.

"Don't you 'my love' me, what is going on?" She snapped.

I blinked, rearing my head in surprise. She had gone from nought to sixty in one second that quick? I must've really pissed her off. Her wolf too, I could tell was agitated and afraid. I swallowed nervously, trying to figure out how I was going to tell her this.

"One of the engines is down."

Yep, obvious and simple should do it.

Nova's heart raced in her chest, and I felt concern flood me at her apparent fear. I forgot for a moment, that she had never flown before and knew nothing about modern technologies. Especially aeroplanes.

"W-what do you mean down?" She stammered.

My head ached at her returning impediment, causing me to falter in my answer. Sean was quick to butt in, answering her quickly to appease her. I glared at him, but he ignored me, his shoulders square as he held his responsibility well, standing beside me.

He was to look after the brothers if all went to shit.

"Are we going to crash?" Nova whispered.

"We should be fine." I shook my head, running my nose down her neck. "You can land a plane with only one engine."

Pollux began to shake as he staggered back a step. "I knew I hated flying. I knew I would."

I felt concerned for him as her green eyes flooded with fear. The small male was terrified, his eyes fixed on the cockpit doors. I was about to ask him what riled him up so much when the engine to the back right of the plane suddenly cut off, whirring and jamming to a stop. It triggered an alarm in the cockpit and my arms tightened around Nova and my pups.

"We've lost engine two!" The captain breathed. "Trying emergency protocol one..."

I kept my attention on Nova and the pups, my grip almost crushing as the captain went on to say there was no fuel. It would take him ten minutes or so to figure out the mathematics for landing, and then have to go through all the checklist protocols.

Nova's nerves flooded the bond, her fear and unease growing as time went on. The cabin was silent, only the quiet thumping of our hearts filled the cabin as the air whooshed around outside. I ignored the soft cursing of the captain, focusing on Nova's nervous lip-biting habit.

"There is no need to worry, my love. I will keep you safe." I murmured. "It will be fine. I trust them both. With my life, remember?"

"It's not that... Something feels... wrong." She frowned.

I pulled her closer, feeling the raw thoughts through the bond. Her instinct, her primal blood was telling her something was off. I felt it too, a tightening in my chest that had my breaths become heavier.

A shuffling caught my gaze, my head raising to see Pollux stumble as he let out a loud breath. Nova followed my gaze, sighing softly.

"Pollux, sit down."

He nodded, swallowing noisily. "Okay."

He fell into the seat to the left of us, besides Leo. The other brother eyed him with concern, giving me a worried expression. I nodded once at him, letting him know he was to look after him. Leo wrapped his arm around the smaller male's shoulders, pulling him tight and patting his bicep.