Wattpad Original
There are 24 more free parts

responsibilities

noun ~ the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or having control over someone

I was getting pretty tired of my gift now. It seemed to have a mind of its own. I couldn't control the reactions it gave me when I touched things. Magical or old things seemed to trigger it the most. Gaia, being a mystical entity, obviously meant that I would fall into yet another one.

This time, I was back in my mother's bedroom. She had just given birth and her and father were cooing over myself and Pollux as newborns. My mother's wide-eyed look as the screams broke out had me halting in my disappearance. Last time, I ran. What if this time, I was meant to see it from this angle?

"It's too late!" My mother sobbed.

My arms wrapped around my bump as she sobbed into Pollux's baby blanket. Her emotions permeated the air, her sorrow as her heart smashed into a million pieces. Her tears soaked the blanket and Pollux whimpered in return to our mother's woes.

"What is it, Belle? What's going on?" My father worried, clutching me in his grip.

Through bleary red eyes, my mother hiccuped tears. "The vampires... They have my mother. I can feel her... She's... They're burning her! It's too late! I cannot do anything!"

"What? How? Why? What do you want me to do?" My father stammered, rushing around the bed.

My mother was focused on the rising flames out of the window, too far in the distance to see the cause of them. Tears were drying, frozen on her cheeks as she seemed to zone out. My father stood beside her, the hand not holding me, cupping her jaw.

"It's okay. She'll be back in a moment." He cooed to a crying Pollux.

After a few more seconds of my father stroking my mother's panicked face, she blinked, and the tears pooled once more. Her whole body was shaking, her eyes darting from side to side.

"Belle, baby, speak to me. Do I need to go?"

My mother's lip wobbled. "No, y-you stay. Too dangerous."

"Okay. I will stay. What's going on, Belle? Talk to me."

She swallowed, her eyes surveying the room. I shuddered when they passed over me, knowing full-well I was invisible, but it still made me feel strange.

"They've killed mum... They... she..."

"Who? Fangs?"

Mother nodded wearily. "She was behind it. All this time... I can feel..."

My father shook his head, clutching at her hand now. "Who was behind it? What can you feel?"

But my mother's eyes were rolling, and her lips parted in a pained gasp. I cringed when it set off Pollux again and my father was fast to scoop him up into his spare arm.

"Witch..." She whispered before she fell unconscious.

My father swallowed, murmuring softly to the two of us. I assumed my mother had a vision and passed out, otherwise my father's calmness would concern me. He paced the room, rocking the two of us in his arms whilst monitoring my mother.

I watched with fascination as her body trembled, fur sprouting and claws elongating. Her reddened skin calmed, blossoming as her body regulated its temperature. The heart monitor was the only noise other than the babies' soft breaths. My father audibly swallowed the moment my mother's green eyes blinked open.

She shot upright in the bed, staring right near where I stood. I cringed, side stepping from her haunting gaze, but she... followed. Those blinding green eyes that reminded me so much of my wolf followed my movement, piercing into my own.