Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

serene

adjective ~ calm, peaceful, and untroubled

I was making myself a cup of tea after a busy day catching up with my friends and family when Phoenix finally came home. The dark bags beneath his eyes hollowed his cheeks and once the door shut behind him, his shoulders sagged.

"Hey..." I greeted softly.

I had drawn the curtains a while ago, the living area lit by the dull amber lamps. Phoenix refused to let me light the fire, something about my lack of elegance, so I was huddled over the teacup in the kitchen with a blanket hanging from my shoulders.

"Hey, have you put the heating on?" He wondered.

"Not yet." I shook my head, gesturing to the fire. "I thought we could sit by the fire tonight."

"Sounds good to me." He smiled, walking closer.

His arms looped around my waist, pulling me into his chest. I felt his chest rumble with another sigh as I settled my cheek against his chest. He was comforting, the bond humming with warmth. When he pulled away to kiss me softly, I kept my gaze on him the entire time.

"What is it?" I probed.

"What is what?" He raised an eyebrow.

I slithered a finger from my blanket to poke the puffy skin beneath his eye. "What's got you stressed?"

His jaw clicked before his shoulders sagged. "I had a few things to go through today."

"Like the Donovan paperwork?" I cocked my head.

"That and a few others..."

"Phoenix..."

He huffed, nudging me toward the sofa. I complied, grabbing my hot mug and settling onto the pillow encrusted sofa as he moved toward the fireplace. I watched patiently, drinking my tea as he fixed the fire and lit it, staring at it for a moment as it caught the flame. Finally, he slumped next to me, running his hand through his hair and across his jaw with a frustrated sigh.

"Why don't you walk me through you day, maybe I can help?" I suggested.

"Good plan." Phoenix smiled softly, squeezing my thigh. "First, was Donovan. Turns out he died yesterday, but with a lack of communication, they could not tell me. After trying all morning, Gaia has agreed to help with his cremation, and we burnt him as the sun went down."

I swallowed thickly, glad I missed it and that he spared the details. "Okay... What... what else?"

"With Donovan and his two leaders dead, it leaves a lot of loose ends. We are going to trial Alessea, see what we can get from her."

"When will that happen?"

"Three days. It is the best on such short notice." He sighed. "We need to get this sorted before it gets loose."

"And her family?" I wondered.

"Are welcome to visit for the trial."

"Who will be there?"

"Alexandar and Theia, Demetrius and Aila, and a few witnesses for trial, like a jury."

My attention peaked at the sound of the familiar names. It had been a while since I had seen Aila, and I'd love to talk to my mother's old friend, and Phoenix's cousin, once again. As for Theia... Well, I had to keep my eye on her.

"Theia?" I repeated. "Is that a good idea?"

"You tell me." He mused. "You see the future."

I rolled my eyes, kicking his knees slightly. He had sprawled them out so that his ankles rested on the coffee table, leaving his joints weak for an attack. He grunted as my foot collided with them, his eyes blazing with humour.