Wattpad Original
There are 44 more free parts

meddle

verb ~ interfere in or busy oneself unduly with something that is not one's concern

I woke with a start.

Panting heavily, my chest heaved for breath as I shot up from the bed I lay in. Celimene growled, snarling as I came to my senses.

Wait...

My gasps turned into a cry of panic as I didn't recognise the room. I lay in. It took me a moment, a soft caress of rough fingers along my cheeks. My widened eyes met those of mate and I instantly felt my body relax into him.

"Ph-Phoenix?" I gasped.

His eyes softened, worry creasing his brows. "It's me. You're okay, you're okay."

My hands reached out to grab him, pulling his shirt closer to my chest so I can breathe his scent. It helps to calm me, Cel taking a step back in my mind when our mate took over our senses.

"How-Wh-Why are you here?"

"You fell unconscious." His worry only deepened in the crease of his forehead. "Kelsey informed me straight away when your heart rate dropped. The bond was closed off. Want to tell me what happened?"

I shook my head, a dull ache forming along my temple. "I had a vision. How long was I out?"

"Two hours." A new voice tutted.

My head spun around in alarm, watching as Dawn brought through a small folded towel and handed it to my mate. Phoenix's back straightened, taking it from her before dabbing my forehead. I frowned, not quite understanding how I was out for two hours.

"You sure?"

"Very." Dawn quipped. "Broke my blue cup when you went into the spirit world, so your hand got rather cut."

I looked down at my left palm and sure enough there was a fresh bandage on wrapped around my palm and down my wrist. I flexed my fingers, feeling the tug and burn of fresh cuts. A small oh escaped my mouth at the realisation, lost in the grooves of my hand, a reality came crashing in.

"I have never been out that long." I admitted. "It only felt like five minutes."

"The spirit world is fickle. Celimene was a master at it, but your mother struggled with the power she was gifted with." Dawn sighed as she sat in a nearby chair.

"She did?"

"Yep. Your mother had Angela create her a ring to harness her power. I see you are wearing it." She commented.

I glanced back down at my hands, nodding softly. "I found it in the house."

"The Terra house?" Dawn wondered, a strange tone in her voice.

"Yes. It was inside... a book, of all things."

"What book?" She urged.

I blinked, taken aback at her sudden interest. "I... uh... I think it was Wuthering Heights."

"And you just... found it?"

I shrugged. "It drew me to the nursery and then the bookcase. I found it odd that it was in the children's room. They sealed it closed with a spell, but once I opened it, there was the ring inside."

Her face grew white, as though a ghost had appeared beside me. I shared a confused look with Phoenix, who stood on high alert as he watched the woman delve into her own demons.

"You can read her code?"

I paused, my eyes widening as I realised the trouble I may have just dropped myself into.