Wattpad Original
There are 69 more free parts

unexpected

adjective ~ unforeseen, regarded as unlikely to happen

"Nova?"

I spun around, baring my teeth as my fists shook by my side. Celimene was livid, burning beneath me but she held back, letting my own need to grieve for her friends take over. I felt the sorrow like it was my own, felt the burdens of my friends loss so personally that it was like I sucked it out of them and carried it on my shoulders.

"Nova!"

I grinded my teeth, stopping my pacing to level my gaze with the male. His light red hair was wild, but he was fully dressed, shoes included as he came closer to me. I narrowed my eyes, my anger getting pushed away as confusion took place.

"Nova, you need to calm down." He murmured, holding out his hands. "It's not good for the babies, calm down."

I cocked my head, eyeing him curiously. Why was he here? Why was he in the woods at night? Was he alone?

His blue eyes were dark in the moonlight, but I recognised the broad shoulders and slender build the more I looked at him. I felt my anger subside as the familiar man took a step closer to me, even Celimene had backed down.

"Aldren?" I wondered. "What are you doing here?"

He smirked. "I could ask you the same thing."

Flexing my fingers, my knuckles ached with how hard I had been clenching them. I rotated my jaw, releasing some of the slack before I licked my lips.

"I... I..." I stammered and shook my head.

"Is something wrong?" He wondered, standing a foot in front of me.

I exhaled heavily, my shoulders sagging as the adrenaline began to wear away and leave me weary. His hand came to cup my shoulder, my head raising to look into his eyes. He looked so concerned, his sharp eyes gentle, his freckled forehead creased with concern.

"I received some bad news and it's hit me rather personally." I sighed, leaning into his hold.

His hand rightened on my skin, the other adjusting a bag draped along his shoulder. Why do men carry bags on one arm? Why not make it easier and get a backpack?

"Want to talk about it?" He asked.

I shrugged an okay, my legs shaking as we turned to walk down the hill. "Calida received some bad news."

"Your human friend?"

I held back a laugh but nodded. "Yeah, turns out she can't have children because there's a lot of scarring. It could be something as simple as trauma or infection but also cancer. They've taken samples but... my heart breaks for them."

"Really? That's terrible." He murmured. "How is Charlie taking it? The last I saw him they were taking small steps."

"I think they have feelings for each other, they just won't admit it. I'm scared this will break them. Neither of them had easy upbringings."

"They will be okay. Things happen for a reason, remember that."

"But what if this reason is bogus? What if this is some cruel karma?"

"Does Calida deserve it?"

"No..."

"Does Charlie?"

"Well, no..."

"Then it will be okay." He shrugged, his spare arm wrapping around my shoulder.

"How can you be so sure? How can you believe in something like this when it feels like everything is against you?"