Wattpad Original
There are 34 more free parts

understanding

noun ~ the ability to comprehend the meaning or action behind something

Aldren travelled with us all the way to the airstrip. He didn't have to, but he wanted to say goodbye. I had told him it was silly to get cold, but the way his light blue eyes held my gaze, had me sealing my lips shut. He was a man of brief words much like Phoenix, but his gaze held a thousand thoughts, a thousand futures.

I watched him from afar as he shook hands with the guards, patting Leo on the back. My brother was eager to get out of the cold, so as soon as Aldren released him, he was running up the private jet's steps and into the warmth. The runway was fairly clear, being further down the mountain, but it was still freezing cold.

Aldren embraced my twin, the smaller male rather quiet since the tree incident. I think it had shaken Pollux, and I made it my mission to corner him on the plane. He couldn't escape unless he jumped out of the door and even then he wouldn't risk all of our lives.

I didn't realise I was smirking to myself until Aldren stopped before me and called my name.

I blinked up at him, shaking my ears clear of thought. "Huh?"

He snorted softly. "That pregnancy brain is already kicking in, aye?"

Frowning, I kicked some snow at him. "What did you say?"

"I asked what was going on in your head." He chuckled. "But clearly it was very amusing."

"It was nothing of interest." I crossed my arms.

"Well then, I wish you well."

"Thanks." I snorted. "When will I next see you?"

"There are many futures, Nova." He tutted. "We shall see."

"Is that why you came all this way with us? Because of a future." I cocked my head.

He nodded once, a simple answer that had my mind whirring.

"Anyway, you should get going. You are going to get sick."

Not a may get sick, a will get sick. I scowled at him, unhappy with the thought of getting a cold. It was inevitable anyway, a weaker immune system, teamed with a life-sucking pregnancy and cold weather. It may have well spelled out sickness.

"Take care." He pulled me to him, surprising me by embracing me.

It took me aback, even more so when my mind was hit with a million thoughts. Aldren had never hugged me, and I think I realised why. A million thoughts, a million emotions and futures he has seen. Later, he is going to sit by the fire with a coffee and a book by himself in contentment. But I felt the sadness, the longing of a partner by his side. My heart hurt with empathy for him, one that had me squeezing him back tightly.

I could not see myself in these futures. Most of them were his small snippets of relaxation or activity. There was a brief emotion of great sorrow and remorse, one that had me fight to catch my breath. But it passed as quickly as the others and, with a pained smile, I stepped out of his embrace.

Phoenix was quick to snatch me up, growling as he nuzzled his face into my throat. I felt the presence of his wolf through the bond, unhappy I was so close to an unmated male. Phoenix had just as many emotions as I did during this pregnancy. Possessive damn Alpha. Aldren was my cousin, for crying out loud!

My hands wrapped around the ones that rested on my stomach, squeezing Phoenix back. His face pulled away from my throat after placing an open-mouthed kiss to my mark that had my toes curling. Aldren cleared his throat, running his hand down his neck awkwardly. Phoenix levelled his gaze with him, and I could feel the tension of his gaze on the red-haired male.