Wattpad Original
There are 37 more free parts

instinct

noun ~ a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity

I still felt unnerved when we arrived back at the house. I had stayed firmly planted on Phoenix's back, protected by the surge of warmth he provided. He had not let go of me since I came too, and was quick to shift and nudge me onto his back with his snout. It was quite amusing, but I felt my energy draining as we sat at the dining table for dinner.

We didn't arrive back at the house until four, the journey back seeming to take longer than usual.

Mentally exhausted, I sat perched on the toilet seat whilst Phoenix ran me a bath. We were supposed to go back home tonight, but Phoenix had pushed it to the morning so I could get a good night's sleep. I appreciated his care, physically trying to tell him so but he had urged me to relax and bathe so I could regain my energy. If not for me, then for the pups.

"Half full. Want to get in?"

I snapped my head up from my mini daze to find him knelt next to the tub. I nodded, rising from the toilet to get undressed from the many layers I still wore. Phoenix stood and helped me out of my shirt, kissing my nose when my face resurfaced from the fabric. I giggled, shaking my head at his behaviour before making my way to the tub.

He hovered over me, his hand resting on my waist as I climbed over the bath's side. I wriggled my toes once in, lowering myself slowly to sit at the bottom. The tub was a gentle warmth, Phoenix taking Kate's pregnancy advice rather seriously, which meant no hot baths.

"I put some bath salts in. Do you want bubbles?" He wondered, turning to the limited options we brought.

"You packed bath salts?" I wondered, curiously.

He smiled softly, shaking his head. "I had one guard go to the pharmacy when we were on our way back."

"Thank you." I mumbled.

He sat by me as the tub filled and I shook my head, smiling as I leaned back in the tub. Closing my eyes, a heavy sigh escaped me as the gentle waves of pouring water ran along my bare skin. Phoenix's hand came to travel through my hair, pushing strands away from my face.

The sound of the water trickling from the tap lulled my mind into a safe space of serendipity. My breathing slowed as I finally let my body relax. All the thoughts of the day slipped away as I focused on the sound of the water. Eventually, Phoenix turned it off, his voice a gentle hum as he excused himself from the room.

Time passed without a thought, my mind half-asleep as the water cooled. Something only disturbed me when the door clicked open and footsteps entered the room. Phoenix was quiet as he pulled the plug from beneath my feet, turning on the tap to warm again. Too out-of-body to realise what he was doing, it startled me when the touch of a sponge ran along my legs.

Opening one eye, I peered at him curiously. He gave me a gentle smile, lathering my body in fruity smelling suds. He cleaned me softly before pulling me upright and scrubbing my back. I had moaned at the contact, loving a rough back scrub. Phoenix chuckled, rinsing me of bubbles before helping me stand. I shivered, goosebumps raising on my skin as the cold air of the house hit me.

This house was old, and old meant old leaky windows that didn't trap heat very well.

Quickly wrapping me in a large, rough towel, Phoenix scooped me from the tub and carried me into the living room. I laughed as he set me before a roaring fire, grateful he had added more wood to the flames. My teeth calmed their chattering as I defrosted, unbothered, to dry myself properly as the heat did it for me.

Once dry, Phoenix mutely got me dressed in some pyjama bottoms and a shirt. He didn't once complain or comment. In fact, his eyes had darkened with that of his wolf, showing me how much the both of them were taking part in this.