Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

trial

noun ~ a formal examination of evidence before a judge, and typically a jury in order to decide innocence

"Are you sure you are ready?" Phoenix wondered.

I scowled, pausing in my stride to the trial room. The day had finally come, and I was uncertain on how it would play out. The events of the trial led to my capture, and I hoped I could keep a straight face. My mate has a certain facade when in front of other packs, and I wished I could do the same.

"I have come all the way here. I am not about to back out when we are literally going to enter the room in three steps."

He shrugged. "Wanted to make sure."

"Just go already." Charlie grunted from behind us.

I huffed, taking my mate's hand and pulling him forward. His soft chuckle faded as the doors opened. The wolf by the door readily prepared for our entrance. As always, I fell entranced by the way Phoenix fell into his leadership role. His lips pulled down, eyes hardening, so that there was nothing but a frosty glare to his demeanour. His shoulders broadened, strides falling determined as he led me by the hand towards the place we would be sitting.

Murmurs filled the room as Phoenix held out my chair, and I sat quietly. Phoenix sat to my right, Charlie on my left, and I took my time to scan the room. I wasn't truly expecting the style of room before me; I had expected something like you'd see in the movies.

This was more like an arena. A small room with circular rows surrounding two desks in the centre. One held a stern-looking wolf, with the King and Queen at his side. Opposing him was an empty desk, one that held a metal bar in the middle, and a similar one on the floor.

I spotted Samson and Aldren hiding in the rafters, sunglasses and hoodies over their body to disguise themselves. They knew of the trial, and although Avani was adamant about not attending, it seemed the males in her life had other ideas. Aldren's head turned to me, and I knew he was watching me when he bowed his head in greeting.

I swallowed thickly as the angry-looking man suddenly spoke to the room, his eyes a scary white blue as he glared at us all. We were sitting in the first row, opposing the jury Phoenix had mentioned.

"Attention!" The angry judge hollered. "Today, we are here to witness the trial of Alessea Cyrus for associating with the Rogues and Vampires against us, a class one violation of our laws."

The room fell silent as he ordered the guards to bring her in.

I was glad Pollux did not attend because the moment they pulled Alessea into the room; I winced at the appearance of her. I had not seen her since I had to drag Phoenix away from Donovan's badly mutilated corpse, and even then, she looked bad.

Today, she was withered, with barely a glimmer of life. Alessea's frame was thin and weary, her once vibrant orange hair a dull brownish colour. Her cheeks were hollow, eyes wide as she stared at the ground. Her right side was facing us, her left facing the jury.

Not once did she look up as she was sitting in the chair.

Not once did she speak a word as they tied and locked the silver chains to the bars on the floor and table.

Alessea was quiet as she hunched over. A microphone was before her, and I could faintly hear her raspy breaths.

I felt Phoenix squeeze my thigh and my hand darted out to grasp it. Charlie shifted from beside me, sliding closer to me in his chair as his arm fell to the back of my own. It was his own way of being there for me, and I appreciated his gesture as the judge started the trial.