Wattpad Original
There are 27 more free parts

try

verb ~ to make an attempt or effort to do something

As the afternoon dragged on, full of planning, exhaustion hit and everyone but myself and Sean fell asleep. The fire crackled in the silence between us, my eyes watching it intensely. I wanted to sleep, to curl up and snuggle into soft sheets, but... it just wasn't right. I couldn't be without Phoenix. Without his warmth, I couldn't fall asleep.

Gaia had made some soup, and I had reluctantly tasted a bowl as the others helped themselves to more than enough. Kelsey had woken, recovering well and able to hold a conversation with us over dinner. It was nice to see her awake, but the bags under her eyes told me she suffered more than she played off.

But now, as the crickets chirped through the cracked cottage window and the sun began to set, I contemplated. We had a small plan, but I kept most of my part out of it. I did not want to let my full opinions out, in fear it may change what happens tomorrow.

"Have you heard from Charlie?" I wondered.

Sean jumped slightly. The silence of the lounge had lulled him into a small slumber.

"Huh?"

I smiled softly. "Have you heard from Charlie?"

He shook his head, shifting his weight so his hand supported his head. "No signal."

It didn't take him long to fall back asleep, pretty much seconds, and I hummed with amusement. Now I was alone, and I could concentrate on what I truly wanted to do.

Pulling my legs up onto the sofa, I wedged a pillow beneath my ever-growing bump. Exhaling slowly, I closed my eyes and opened my mind. We were too long from home, but I hoped I could at least get some inclination to what was going on. Charlie would've known that we did not arrive and with no contact, it would leave him in the dark.

As my mind wandered, so did my feet. I soon imagined myself walking through the forests of home. I travelled for some time, my hands wandering and touching everything around me as the birds sang in the trees. I couldn't feel the trees, so I knew it was all my imagination, but I could remember what they felt like in the real world.

The forest grew thicker, and I stumbled my way over fallen branches and thick puddles of sludge. Eventually, I came to a clearing and found my eyebrows furrowing as a sense of familiarity washed over me. A small house with modern windows greeted me as I rounded a final tree, but I came to realise that this wasn't my home.

I knew this house.

But why was I here? Again?

A cloaked figure passed me then, their cape swaying and brushing against my body. My hands scraped the fabric, unable to touch or feel it.

I was safe in this dream.

I followed the cloaked man toward the house, sliding myself through the door just like before. The modern kitchen and open-plan layout greeted me like an old friend, neatly tidy and smelling of lavender.

"Come sit." A soft voice brushed my ears.

"Of course." The cloaked man nodded, and went toward the kitchen.

I remained behind, feeling an odd sense of déjà vu hit me as the two people before me began to speak. He had pulled down his hood, revealing dark blonde hair. He took a mug of steaming tea into his hands, tapping his nails along the porcelain.

I slowly moved sideways, catching a sight of her face as she grew irritated by the male's harsh words.

"You can't trap me here! What if I want to visit a store or see my family again?" Theia, the current Queen, growled.