Chapter Twenty

EPISODE 20_ WHY ARE YOU DOING PROJECTS WHEN YOU WON'T BE GOING TO COLLEGE.

"If I'm going to do this then I want my money to increase. I need the money." Catherine said after a while of thinking.

"We can't talk about that when your shift is over, right now we have to get back to work." Karla said before walking away.

She resume working for the night until they closed up. that night she left with $100. She was so happy.
A night and she made this? Then she's determined to always work full shift everyday.

Then it dawned on her that it was past her curfew time. Her uncle would kill her.

What was she going to say to him? What lie will she tell?

She brought out her phone from her jeans pocket and dialed Talia's number.

"Hey girl, what's up?" Talia asked.

"Talia, are you busy right now? We had a lot of people at the restaurant today and I had to stay longer than expected, told my uncle that I'm coming to visit you because he doesn't know that I work. Can you please drive me home?" She asked hopefully.

"Where are you right now?" Talia asked.

"In front of Montegos. Should I wait for you?" Catherine questioned when she heard the noises at the background.

"Yes, I'll be there shortly."
Catherine waited patiently for Talia to come and pick her up, she sat down at a bench beside the restaurant and turned on her Wi-Fi.

She go through RHS news profile, checking the page for new ongoing news in school. Some made her laughed while some made her sad, her fingers stopped tapping at her phone screen when she saw a post and her eyes popped out of her eyes.

"What the hell is this?" She asked herself.
She saw a picture of her and Ace, the scene that happened in school earlier. The camera captured her and Ace kissing each other with a caption 'School badboy Ace Hampton captured on camera kissing the school black card student, what could be going on?'

She gasped and covered her mouth with her hand.  There were over five hundred thousand likes on the post and thousands of comments.
She couldn't bring herself to even open the comments, the caption alone was enough for her to know what to expect.

She quickly logged out of her Instagram and her lips quivered.
Just as she stood up from the bench she was sitting at, she saw a car pulled up in front of her.

"Get in!" Talia yelled.
Catherine picked up her backpack from the bench and walked towards Talia's car. She opened the passenger side and got in.

"Thank you for picking me up, Talia." She said and Talia glanced at her.

"We are best friends, Talia. Best friends should always be there for each other, now tell me why you look like that."

"I was going through RHS Instagram page when I saw the picture of Ace and I posted there. I can't imagine what the students must be thinking, Talia. I'm so ashamed of myself." 

"I saw it too, what the hell happened back there? I know that something is going on with the two of you but not to this extent. Have you fuck him yet?" Talia asked. Catherine's face flushed red and she facepalm herself.

"Of course not! We are not like that..... We are not in a romantic relationship, Talia."

Talia nodded her head as she drove through Catherine's uncle's driveway.

"Don't you think you should quit this job and think of the bigger picture? Your uncle is helping with your school fees, I can help you with any other things you need. You have to concentrate, Cath." Said Talia in a very serious voice.

"I don't want to take money from you, talia.i don't want it to look like I'm only friends with you because of your money." She stated and smiled. "I can manage myself, Talia. You don't have to worry. By the way, thank you for the ride, I'll see you in school tomorrow."

She got down from Talia's car and waved at her before going inside the house. Surprisingly there was no one in the living room when she walked in. She heaved a sigh of relief and went to the kitchen. She opened the fridge and brought out a bottle water and started drinking the water.

"And what do you think you are doing, Catherine?" A voice asked from the kitchen door, Catherine quickly turned around and was faced with a very angry glare from Vivian.

"You.... I thought you were sleeping." She stuttered.

Vivian wrapped her hands around her chest as she watched Catherine quietly.
She never liked the girl, if it wasn't for the plan her husband has she would have send her out since forever but she had to have some Patience. Just got a little while.

After a little while things will be better.
"Why are you coming back by this time? It is 11:20pm, your curfew time is 10:00pm, why are you coming back just now? What's your explanation?" Vivian asked angrily.

Catherine swallowed hard and rubbed her forehead with her fingers. She has never been good with lies. Anybody that knows her can easily detect when she was lying.  She glanced at Vivian through her eyelashes and sighed.

"I told uncle that I had to visit my friend because we had a project together, we didn't finish it earlier than I thought." Catherine responded. Vivian raised her eyebrows and rolled her eyes.

"Why will you be doing projects when you won't be going to college?" Vivian asked mockingly before turning around and walked away.

She just dropped a bomb.
That was Catherine's biggest fear, that she will finish high school and be unable to go to college.

It scares her a lot.

She sighed softly before walking out of the kitchen, I climbed the states and walked straight to her room. She closed the door behind her and walked towards the bed.
She sat down on the bed and took in a deep breath.

Her mind raced to Vivian's words.

'Why will you be doing projects when you won't be going to  college.'

She paused her lips into a thin line and closed her eyes trying to stop herself from thinking about what she shouldn't.

T. B. C

Vote and comment.