Chapter 80

"I'm the only one that you need"

80

Ace watched on as Catherine walked away from him.

He was stunned.

She had never treated him that way before.

"You will have to prove yourself." He repeated Catherine's last words. He chuckled softly and glanced at the cigarette trapped between his fingers.

"I will surely have you back in my arms, Catherine Meyers. We are not done yet." He muttered.

He wasn't even planning to attend the reunion, he just had to because he wanted to see her. And seeing her being so comfortable with Anitra pissed him off but he held himself back. He has no right to be angry or jealous.

****

"Now that it didn't work out with Jack Black's daughter. What is your next plan?" Veronica Hampton asked Ace during dinner.

Ace sipped quietly on his wine and glanced at his phone screen. "What do you want me to do, Mother?"

His mother dropped her cutleries on her plate and placed her hand on the table.

"I have had the privilege to engage you with two girls and it didn't work out. I am embarrassed for myself." She said and chuckled. "Relationships are indeed not like business. I am giving you the privilege to choose for yourself this time, Ace. Don't disappoint me either."

He couldn't believe what he heard. He thought he was going to have another season of disagreement with her but it wasn't what he was expecting.

Veronica really did surprise him.

"Are you okay, Mother? Do you need me to call you doctor for you?" Ace inquired. He didn't believe that his mother knew what she was saying.

Veronica rolled her eyes and got up from her chair.

"I mean it this time. But only on one condition." She responded and Ace groaned. He knew that there was a catch.

Veronica Hampton doesn't do things like a normal person. Like a normal mother.

"And what is it?"

"You'll get married in one month to whomever you choose. Of course I won't have a hooker as my daughter in-law so you better choose someone from a well respected family. "

Ace couldn't believe his ears. As she walked out of the dining room Ace kept thinking about what he was told.

He was planning on getting Catherine back no matter if Veronica Hampton approves of it or not. But her actually letting him make a choice for himself was a first.

It has been three days since the reunion and Ace had made sure to send a bouquet of flowers and a note to Catherine every single day but she still refused to talk to him.  It hurts but he wasn't planning on giving up anytime soon.

****

Catherine walked inside the kitchen to drink some water when her eyes caught the flower vases on the kitchen table.

Sterling, Peach blossom, Sunflowers, Roses.

Catherine smiled as she admired the beauty of the flowers. "So he still remembers my favorite flowers." She muttered to herself.

They had a peach tree back in London during the childhood days and that tree was very important to her. An important part of their story.

"He doesn't just give up. He should try harder." She said and opened the fridge to grab a bottle of water when her phone started ringing.