Chapter 42

Catherine POV:

When I got home later that night, I was so tired. Tired from everything. The secret note I got from the unanimous being that still scares me shitless whenever I remember it, or the confrontation between Ace and Anitra.

I was exhausted especially from the fact that I don't know who sent me the written notes.  I don't know if they are watching me,  I don't know who they are or if they can help me.

This is seriously ridiculous.
I still have a lot to do, I have to talk to my homeroom teacher so that she can talk to the principal for me and get a handwritten note to increase my chances of getting into Oxford.
****
It is my birthday, lmao.
But none of the people who called themselves my family wished me a happy birthday. Well, not yet.

I received a call from Talia earlier this morning wishing me a happy birthday and also got a message from Anitra. It doesn't matter if Uncle Alex and Vivian don't wish me Happy birthday, I will enjoy today.

I walked out of my bedroom with my phone in my hand while checking the school portal for a new announcement when a message came in.

I clicked on the message and my eyes widened from what I saw no way, no f****** way!
How did this person get my personal phone number? Now I know that I am being watched.

I'm scared for myself, especially after reading the creepy message they sent me.

'The day has finally come'

I didn't know what to do, I was paralyzed.

it was as if a bucket of ice water was poured on me I couldn't move or blink.
After regaining my senses I glanced around the living room but I was all alone.

What in the world is going on with me?  Am I going insane without knowing?  What is this? Why me? why can't I just live a normal life like everybody else,  just why!

"Why are you so pale as if you just saw a ghost?" A voice that I detest so badly asked me, Vivian.

She the hell did she walk in?
I don't know.

I pushed my phone inside my pants pocket and worked towards the couch.

"I was just thinking about how today is going to be. It's my day after all." I said and winked at her, trying to mask my scared face behind a fake smile.

She raised her eyebrows at me and walked away.

What is going to happen today? I don't know,  but I have prepared myself for the worst.

*****

Talia told me earlier that she was going to throw a birthday party for me. I was surprised and excited.

I quickly do my house chores.
I cleaned the house, washed the clothes and made lunch.

Then everything started making sense after we ate lunch.
Uncle Alex brought out a document and told me to sign it.

I asked him what it is all about but he couldn't give me a straight answer. Then I remembered about the written note I got on our prom night.

The note warned me not to sign any documents. But am I going to trust a total stranger that I know nothing about over my own family?

"Sign the papers, Catherine. You're delaying us." Vivian said. I wanted to make a snarky reply but I digress and decided to shut my mouth instead.

"I want to know what this document is all about, that is the only thing I asked for uncle Alex. I can't sign them if I don't know what it is, what if I'm signing my life off?" I asked him meekly.

Vivian chuckled softly and sipped on her drink.
"Who would want to kill you? You are so proud of yourself." She said and I rolled my eyes.

My hatred for her kept on increasing every single day.

"This is a document that will allow you to give your inheritance to my name for me to handle it for you until you turn 21." Uncle Alex told me.

What!
What did I just hear?
I must have heard it wrong, he didn't just say what I thought he said.

If I remember correctly, he told me sometime ago that Mrs Veronica Hampton confiscated everything dad had. So what does he want me to sign again?

I grabbed the papers from the table and flipped through the pages.
Shit!

It was a legal document.

He wants me to sign everything off to him.
Every single thing.

My eyes couldn't stop widening as I read the document.

THIS DOCUMENT PROVES THAT MISS MEYERS GIVES MR ALEXANDER MEYERS THE FULL OWNERSHIP OF HER COMPANY M-CORP, TO MANAGE IT ON HER BEHALF UNTIL HER 21ST BIRTHDAY.

This is never going to happen.

I tore the papers to shred and threw it on the table then pushed my chair back and stood up.

"About a month ago you told me that Veronica Hampton took everything Dad worked for, was that a lie? Now you want me to sign off everything to you? You think I'm dumb!" I yelled.

I was fuming.
My body was hot.
I couldn't cool myself, I couldn't take it!

"This is for your own good, Catherine. You can't manage a company. You can't do anything on your own, you're too weak. That was exactly what got your father killed." Uncle Alex said angrily, his voice rising at each word.

I couldn't believe that he was the one talking.
Uncle Alex has always been calm. Was he just waiting for the perfect time to strike? Is that it?

"I am not weak! I am not! I am not going to sign off my properties to you! I don't care what you say because I won't!" I said angrily.
He doesn't get to call me weak.

It happened in a flash. I didn't know how it happened but a resounding slap landed on my cheek. Hot and hard.
Waters rushed into my eyes, I blinked rapidly and pressed my lips together trying to let it in.

He slapped me.
He slapped me because I wouldn't let him take over what rightfully belongs to me.
Because I know my right!

"You ungrateful bitch! I saved you! Feed you! And this is how I am paid back? Get out! Get out of my house this minute. Let's see if you won't come back begging on your knees." He told me while Vivian watched in amusement.

Where will I go?
I don't know anyone.
I can't go to Talia.
I can't go to her house and bother her but I won't stay here either.

I have pride and won't let it be trampled on like a piece of trash.

I wiped my tears away and lifted my head high.

"I am grateful for everything you have done for me, uncle. But I refuse to let you use me. I will go and I promise not to return. I hope we don't meet again because when we do, you will be the one on your knees." I said and walked out of the dining room before he could say anything.

I ran up to my room and walked straight inside my closet.
I pulled out my huge bag and started throwing my dresses inside.

After packing up everything that I have.  Still in my crop top and short jeans skirt, I glanced at the room one more time before walking out.

I am going to leave this part of me out.
I am on a journey to know everything I need to know about myself and my family.
I want to know where I am from, and who is the person that warned me not to sign the documents.

When I got to the living room uncle Alex.... No, Alex. He doesn't deserve to be called my uncle. Alex and Vivian looked up at me,  anger and hatred visible on them.

Without looking back, I pulled my heavy bag out of the house and released a deep breath.

Where am I heading to?

******

🤞