Chapter 93

93

"I can't believe you Mom, you took such a huge step and you couldn't even tell me about it. What did you take me for? You didn't think about my safety. What if he comes after me without my knowledge? What if Mrs Hampton really didn't find out what you did. What if, Mom?" Catherine questioned angrily when she visited her mother the next day.

She was beyond pissed off, Alex is a psychopath he is the kind of person to go to any lengths in achieving their aim, someone who caused the death of his brother and then take custody of the daughter for more than four years before carrying out his plan, someone with such patience and calculative method can do anything, he is sick!

"I wanted to tell you about it sweetheart. I just didn't think of telling you immediately,  you just got married. I didn't want to spoil your mood. I'm truly sorry baby girl. I don't think of you as a child that shouldn't know about something like this, especially something that can cause you a lot of harm. It wasn't intentional and I'm glad that your mother in-law and your husband are capable of protecting you ." Her mother responded.

Catherine huffed angrily and rolled her eyes as sat down on the couch.

"What are your plans now? What are you trying to do? Ace and I will be leaving for London tomorrow and I need to be aware of whatever you're doing, Mom. I don't like to be kept in the dark." She stated and raised her eyebrows.

" I filed a lawsuit back in London before coming here. I know that he's there. A criminal shouldn't be walking around freely, he needs to be locked behind bars." Mrs Meyers said, she walked towards the TV and grabbed the remote. She turned on the TV and turned the channel to BBC news. "I should get ready as well. I have to go back and start something with the money generated from selling the company."

Reminders of the company they lost to Veronica Hampton pained Catherine.
She wished things had happened differently.

"Is there any edible food here or snack?" She asked and got up from the couch, making her way towards the kitchen without waiting for her mother's words.

"I have fried rice that I cooked for breakfast. Microwave it, I'm famished as well." Mrs Meyers responded and sat down on the couch, her eyes focused on the television.

*******
When Catherine got downstairs, she saw Veronica Hampton walking right in with her assistant beside her.

When she saw Catherine she stopped walking, her eyebrow raised questioning.

"Is Ace in?" She inquired.

"He left earlier with Liam and Anitra," Catherine responded.

"And where did they go?" Veronica Hampton asked irritatingly.

" The forest house." Catherine responded.  Veronica Hampton nodded her head and walked towards her personal couch and sat down on it.

"Good thing that he's not here, I have something to discuss with you." She said, it was now Catherine's turn to frown her face. " Sit down."

Catherine sat down on a couch opposite Veronica Hampton while her assistant was standing beside her.

"You see, I have nothing against you." She began and Catherine rolled her eyes inwardly. " I always wanted Ace to marry Kisa Queens and do you know why? Not because of the money, absolutely not. I want him to marry someone that can stand with him and shine as well. You see, I believe that women rule, you just have to know how to use your secret powers. Kisa can stand beside him and shine, as his wife I want you to be confident. I want you to be smart. I want you to be strong. Strong women are not gangsters, they're not those carrying guns around but those who can think with their head, interpret with their mouth and bring out a solid result. That is a strong woman. Are you a strong woman, Catherine Hampton?"

Catherine was stunned by her words.
She couldn't believe that Veronica Hampton was really talking to her like a mother would to her child.

"I'm working on it." She whispered softly.

" I'm not programmed to brag, but only a few men can stand up against me, Catherine. I am a woman. I don't carry guns, I carry knowledge. You'll be going back to college tomorrow. You're now a Hampton. You'll be photographed. You will be monitored. But you shouldn't forget which family you are married to. I never cower or bow, Catherine. I get bowed to. Raise your chin, sharpen your words and grow a spin. I want to believe that Ace was right this time around." She uttered and stood up from the couch. " I'll be going to my room, dinner is by 7:30 p.m and I want the two of you with me. Mereda, you can go."

Catherine was speechless. She was short of words.
Veronica Hampton totally pulled out words from her mouth.

How can someone be so intimidating?

"What about Ace's Dad? Did you ever feel powerless, helpless when he was alive?" Catherine asked. She gasped and stared at Veronica's rigged figure.
Why did she say that?

"I did. I felt powerless when he left. I felt helpless when he requested for a divorce. I felt useless. But that was different, that was a man that I loved. I'll do anything for my family, Catherine. I'll do anything for my son and since he chooses you, then you're family. But trust is earned, Catherine. You're yet to earn my trust." She retorted calmly and left the living room. Catherine stared at a space for a while, sucking in everything that Veronica told her.

"Oh, wow." She whispered to herself. That was really a very long talk. She wasn't expecting it especially since Veronica Hampton didn't bring up anything about the accident even when she spoke about her husband.

She covered her face with her palm and closed her heavy eyes.

"Are you okay, Butterfly?"