Chapter 72

~Love was at my doorstep,
But I chased it away~

Catherine POV:

When I opened my eyes, I was already in my room. Mom was sitting down on the bed, her phone against her ear while Talia was wiping my forehead with a towel.

When she noticed that I was awake she grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

"You are awake." She whispered.

Obviously I am awake.

But what the hell happened after I fainted?

Mom glanced my way and stopped talking to whomever it is she was talking to on the phone.
She closed her eyes briefly before walking towards me.

"What happened?" I inquired. My head hurts. It hurts like a bitch.

"What were you thinking, Cat? Don't be too hard on yourself. Ace getting married isn't the end of this world and you know it." Talia said to me.

No.

She was wrong.

Ace getting married is the end of everything for me.
I can't sleep knowing that in the next few days he would be completely hers.

Chelsey's.

I hate her already even though she did nothing to me.

I caused everything. I am the architect of my misfortune and now I was suffering from it.

"Tell me, Talia. If you get the news that Liam is finally going to settle down with someone who isn't you. How are you going to react?" I questioned her. She raised her eyebrows at me and sighed.

"Are you okay?" Mom asked me and I nodded my head.
I raised myself into a sitting position and glanced at my hand.

"For how long was I out?"

"An hour."

I got down from the bed and walked inside my bathroom. When I came out some minutes later I saw mom holding my phone in her hand.

"Let him go, sweetheart." She said and I shook my head. "She is not yours."

I charged towards her and grabbed my phone from her hold.
"Please respect my privacy, Mom." I said and turned my back on her. "I want to be left alone."

Mom stayed a little longer before she left the room.

"What is going on in your head, Catherine. I don't understand why you want to kill yourself because of Ace Hampton. He doesn't care about you which is why he is getting married! Come back to your fucking sense before it's too late." She said and turned around to walk out if the room. "I've got to go and have my dinner."

W

hy the hell is everyone telling me to give up?
Just why?

I am the one in love. I am the one who understands the dept of what I am feeling.

I am the one who is going through this rough patch both in my family and my love life.

I stared at the screen of my phone. It was the picture of Ace and I on our first date in New York.

I smiled cheekily and stared intently at his face.

"How can I give up on you so quick? I am going to fight for our love, Ace. I will." I whispered.

*****

"Where are you? I want to take you out for lunch." Anitra said when he called me.

I wanted to call him too but he beat me to it.

"I am at home with Talia." I retorted.

"Talia? Talia came to London?" He questioned.

"Yes, she came yesterday." I responded. "By the way, where are you taking me to?"

"I wanted to tell you something, but don't bother. I'll see you in school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'll see you too."

Anitra hanged up and I got down from the bed. I walked inside my closet and put on a black baggy jeans trouser and a white crop top.

I grabbed a baseball cap from my drawer and walked towards the mirror. I put on the baseball cap and rubbed my palms together.

When I walked out of my room Talia was already sitting down on the bed.

"Where are you going?" She questioned me.

I'm not going to tell her the truth. I didn't want to tell her what or where I'm going.

"I'm going to grabbed lunch for us at KFC. I'll be back very soon." I responded and grabbed my phone from the bed.

I quickly walked out of the room before she could ask me anymore questions.

I got inside my car and drive out of the compound.
My heart was beating erratically against my chest.

I was nervous but also determined to continue with my plan.

I had a friend whom I asked for a favor. Through him I got to know where Ace stays.

I pack my car at the building's parking lot and got down from my car. I pulled down my baseball cap to cover my face.

 I stepped inside the elevator and pressed his floor.

When I got to his floor, I stood before the door. I was staring at the floor and contemplating whether to continue with my plan.

Don't you dare change your mind, Catherine.

I can't change my mind.

I knocked on the door and closed my eyes. Hoping for him to open the door but he didn't.

I knocked on the door for the second time before I heard footsteps from inside the apartment.

I stepped aside when the door was pulled open.

He couldn't see my face but from his posture I assumed that he could recognize me straight up.

"What are you doing here?"  He inquired.

"Can I come in?" I whispered. He stepped out of the way and I walked inside his apartment.

He closed the door behind him and walked pass me.

"Ace." I whispered.
He stopped walking and turned to face me.
I removed my baseball cap from my head and stared into his eyes.

That emotionless expression again.
I fucking hate it!

"What are you doing here?" He asked yet again.
I walked closer to him and raised my hand to touch his face but he stepped back before I could touch him.

"I am engaged, Catherine. Please conduct yourself."

Engaged.

Damn it!