Chapter 57

The sound echoed in all three of their ears and the parents both took a moment to bathe in the beauty of the sound. When the baby jumped within her, Elliot unconsciously lifted Olivia's hand to his mouth and Olivia's eyes trickled with tears.

Sally was ultimately the one who broke the silence in the room, "At nine weeks, conception would have been around the second week of August."

Olivia's eyes finally tore from the screen in front of her to look at the doctor. Second week of August? That meant that she probably got pregnant the first time they were intimate. "But... but I don't understand. I'm 50 years old Sally, 50." Her lips expelled a deep breath out, before she continued. "You told me two years ago that getting pregnant was no longer possible."

The doctor nodded her head, "I know I did, but I was obviously wrong."

"So, what? Her body just randomly decided to drop an egg after menopause? I didn't think that was possible." Elliot asked. The shock of the image in front of him was finally beginning to filter through his mind and although he could feel the happiness bubbling to the surface, there were so many questions and so many fears.

"It's not. Which means that you haven't fully gone through menopause yet. Now, I'm not saying that your body hasn't started the transition into menopause Olivia, but you were never fully post menopause. Do you remember when the last time you spotted was?"

"Umm." She had to really think. She was completely thrown off by the fact that she thought she had completed menopause two years ago and she hadn't. "I think a few months before Elliot and I ran into one another. So, possibly February, March?"

"And, I know I asked you this last time, but do you have any recollection when your last full period was?"

She shook her head in the negative. She honestly had no idea. She knew it was sometime after her and Tucker had called it quits, but she stopped paying attention when they started growing irregular because she knew, since she wasn't active, there was no way she could be pregnant. "I have no idea but I definitely haven't had one since our last visit."

Sally nodded, pushed a button on the machine and turned the machine off, "The spotting may have been a period, so you may have dropped an egg back in February also, or it could have been a small shed of your endometrium because your body was preparing to drop one more egg, there's really no way of knowing. Have you had any symptoms?"

Now that she thought of it, she had every early pregnancy symptom she could think of, "Yes, actually. I threw up at work yesterday, I've been more tired, more hungry and my breasts have been more sensitive."

Sally's eyes fell on Elliot's, "No more sucking on her nipples. Stimulation can cause contractions, something we don't want."

The man smiled and nodded his head in acknowledgment, "Got it."

As Sally leaned down to grab something out of a slot of the machine, Olivia was even more confused than she was before. Sally was giving Elliot sex advice and Elliot was smiling. Was she the only one internally panicking about the situation? "But there's an increased risk for everything at my age." She knew that, for a fact, there was an increased risk for miscarriage, Down syndrome, or about anything else that could go wrong.

The doctor nodded once more before handing them both a separate ultrasound photo, "There is. But that doesn't one hundred percent mean that something is wrong or that something is going to go wrong. The fact that you made it to nine weeks and haven't any signs of a miscarriage, is a good sign. I know a well known high risk doctor here in Manhattan, Dr. Michelle. I'm pretty sure she delivered a baby recently for a mom who was 52, natural conception and healthy pregnancy, birth and baby. I'll give her a call and set you up an appointment with her. You're at the perfect stage to start all the screenings that are offered, if you guys are wanting them."