29. Father Figures

* Mentions of past childhood abuse and rape, please be advised. *

I don't say anything. I don't know what to say. Why was my dad being brought up in a conversation right now? He's been in jail for 10 years now and he isn't supposed to get out anytime soon.

So why? Why are they bringing him up? To bring up unnecessary childhood trauma back into my life, just as it was getting good?! And why the hell does Hank look green? He looks scared but mostly sad.

I didn't want to ponder this topic anymore. So I said, in a casual tone. "Why would we talk about that old creep? Is he finally giving up his rights for me." Even in jail, so I heard, he claims to love me still and when he gets out he wants me back.

1) I'd never go back to him for that night. 2) He's not even supposed to be out for another 8 years so I'll be 24 when he gets out. An adult. And 3) Even if he got out early the court would never hand me over. They wouldn't give a almost child touched a child. They're not that stupid.

Hopefully he just wants to give up his rights. Then I can really become an Anderson and call em my legal family. That's highly unlikely due to how upset Hank is right now.

Miss. Brandy clears her throat. "No. He doesn't." Is all she says, ominous much? I looked at Hank for a sign as to what the heck was going on. No luck. He just stared at me with a weird look on his face. It's so odd, how he's been acting lately.

"Well then what is it?" I insisted, now I'm just a bit ticked off. I mean Brandy never mentions my dad, when I lived with her she was carefully about how she spoke about him. Only when I brought him up, which was very little, did we discuss him. And even then I did most of the talking. So why now, when I'm out of her hair, does she wanna get all therapist on me?

"Well darling, it's just that we've been informed that he's getting out on good behavior sooner than we all thought." I closed my eyes and rested my head in my hands. "How much sooner, Hank?" I asked Hank, I wanted to hear it from him since he hasn't spoken at all since he told me where everyone was. He was just quietly freaking out in the corner.

"Well I'm," he starts, voice hoarse. "Next month." I snapped my head up, eyes wide and mouth ajar. "In a month?!" I stand up but my knees can't handle the weight of this new revelation, the connect and I fall to the ground.

Hank joins me a moment later. "Carrie-" I stopped him with my hand. "How long have you known?" I barked. "Since Friday night." He admitted. I scoffed and tried again to stand on wobbly legs. I failed. Just how Hank failed to tell me this bombshell.

For. Two. Days.

"You didn't think I should've known? You let me go two whole days without telling me my fucking father is getting out?!" I shouldn't have shouted, I shouldn't have been so mean to him. I love Hank but I was just so pissed. Pissed at my father really. For ruining my new life.

He reached out for me but I pushed him away. Miss. Brandy was next, I needed to convince her to do- I don't know anything. KEEP HIM IN JAIL would be nice. "Brandy," before I could say anything else, she hugged me. "It'll be okay." She whispered. I melt in her hug. For a moment, I feel calm. Until I that my father, who almost raped me, is getting out of jail in a month.

"Brandy. Can we talk alone?" I asked, she looked at Hank, who nodded. "Of course." She grabbed Kings leash, he immediately gets up and wags his tail. "We can take him for a walk." I took the green rope from her hand and tried (and failed) to smile at Hank as we went out the door.

"He's a convicted criminal now, he won't get custody of you. He doesn't have any right to raise you. All he has is the fact that he's your biological dad, that's all. I- me and Hank won't let him take you. Your Carrie Anderson now, not Carrie Brown." She tried to make me feel better.