32. Love Hurts

*Flashbacks to an assault on a little girl. Won't go over all of it but might be uncomfortable to read! Be advised! Read if comfortable but don't have to of course!*

Young Carrie's bedroom door slowly opens.

Creeeeeeeak

Her father walks through the door. The beer breathe makes it obvious that he's drunk. He gets drunk a lot though so it's not much of a surprise.

Carrie is still asleep. She slept through a lot of his drunken ramblings and yelling. She's grown used to it. Even at six.

He moves over to Carrie's little bed and sits. Carrie finally stirs. Carrie's father puts both hands on her face. Admiring her. Her green eyes open to meet his.

She smiles. He smiles.

"Hi da-" He stops her, putting a greasy finger on her lips. "Shhh," he slurs. Carrie narrows her eyes, not understanding. "But daddy-" He grabs her face. She tries to move away but he keeps her down with his strength.

"I said shut up!" He blurts. Carrie is terrified now. He keeps her still on the bed, even with her thrashing. He moves his other hand over her. Carrie's crying. She does not want this.

"Oh Carrie." Her father croaks.

"Carrie, Carrie, Carrie."

"NOO!"

I jumped out of bed, gasping for air. Crying.

Damn it. I haven't had nightmares about my father in a long time. It took lots of therapy to start to move on from that night.

I slowly get up from the floor and wiped my tears. I opened my bedroom door and snuck down the stairs to see Hank. I needed to see him. Maybe staying the night with him will cheer both of us up.

I went to his room at the end of the 1st floor hallway. I knocked on the door. "Mhmm?" I heard his sleepy voice say after a minute. I slowly open the door and poke my head in. "Hank." He squinted, since it was dark it took a second for him to recognize me.

"Oh Carrie. Baby, Come in." He sat up and turned his nightstand light on. I slid inside and practically run onto the bed. "Hank." I said again, voice much more shaky.

"What's the matter?" He asked, putting a strand of hair behind my ear. "Can I sleep in here tonight? I had a bad dream." He gave me a weak smile. "You don't even need to ask." I moved to the other side of his bed and laid down. He put the covers over me.

"Was the dream about your dad?" He asked.

"Yeah." Is all I said. I didn't want to go into it.

"I'm sorry." I turned to face him. "Don't. You never did anything. I'm just on edge." He sighed. "Yeah, I feel that too. But we'll make it through." He took my hand.

"Promise?" I said, half as a joke and half seriously. I knew he'd stick by me. That much was shown to me by how he interacted with my father. He was so mad at him, he would never let my father get full custody of me.

"I promise Carrie."

"Thank you Hank." I moved closer let him put his arms around me.