21: Hard Times (short)

I awoke on a hard bed, it was hot and I still felt sick. I realized I was in the school's nurses off with people around me.

"Hm." I grumbled out, Owen looked at me, eyes widening when he noticed me being awake.

"Carrie." He whistled, taking my hand in his. "Your alive!" Liam said, joining the hand holding party.

I tried to speak but my throat hurt and my head ached. "Hm." Was all I could get out.

"Feeling better?" Owen asked, since I couldn't say anything, I shrugged. "So that's a yes?" Luke questioned.

"I guess." I finally was able to say, I noticed they were the only people in the small area around me.

"Where's Charlotte?" I asked, Owen sighed. "She had to go home, she's worried about you though." He said.

"Brent's worried too, very worried." Owen added, I shoved him. "Shut it." I said, Brent.

"He's talking to Mrs. Edith." Owen whispered in my ear, I looked at him. What, why is he doing that?! I don't want him involved!

"Why?!" I said, regretting yelling it because my throat hurts now. "I'd like to know too, Owen won't tell us why and either would Charlotte."

Liam said, Luke nodded in agreement. "I feel like you guys are keeping a big secret." Luke said, he was right, we were.

"It's nothing." Owen said, I made him look at me. I was pretty sure Hank knew so what's the point of keeping it from Luke and Liam.

"They should know, their family after all." Owen bit his lip and looked back at them. "Okay, your right." Wait, I have to tell them?

"Me? You want me to recount it?" He nodded. "You want them to know." Owen said. I sighed, looking at the twins.

"On Saturday, at the party, someone assaulted me." Very vague, very short, very not sweet.

Liam spoke first. "Details, who?! What happened?! How far?!" I fumbled with my fingers.

"It was Elliott Reed, he tried to have sex with me but it didn't go all the way because Brent saved me." I said, Liam's concerned look became one of angry.

"What the fuck?! Why didn't you tell us, tell me?!" The last part was filled with emotions, I looked away.

"I'm sorry." I said, he calmed a little. "I can't believe I didn't notice, I'm a shit brother." Luke said.

"Your not a shit brother, none of you are shit brothers." I say, they all smile at that comment.

"Hey guys." A voice behind us said, I turned to see Brent. "Brent hey, come here." I said, he did so.

"You okay?" He asked, tucking a lose strand of hair behind my ear. "Yeah, I'm doing decent for the situation I'm in." He smiled.

"You were talking to Mrs. Edith, what was that about?" I asked, dying to know what he said.

"About the party, I told her everything I knew." I huffed and he frowned. "I just wanted to help." He said.

I knew that he wanted to help but now Mrs. Edith, an adult, knows the whole story about what happened Saturday.

"I know Brent, I'm not mad." He seemed relieved by my statement, the moment was ruined however by Mrs. Edith coming in.

"Okay boys, I need to talk to Carrie alone." She said, walking to the bed and sitting next to me.

The Anderson boys left but Brent lingered, holding my hand in his. "If you need anything, talk to me."

I know it isn't the time for this but I really wanted to kiss him, I reframed for the most part, settling on a cheek kiss.

"You got it, I'll see you later." He nods and lets go of my hand. "Bye." I said, he left, leaving me and Mrs. Edith alone.

"I talked to Brent, he told me the rest of the story." She said, sitting where Brent had been.

"But I just want to tell you that even if he didn't go all the way doesn't mean it doesn't matter, you shouldn't sweep it under the rug."

Her words made me a little less on edge, then I thought about two important question.

"Does he know? Hank I mean." She bit her lip, smiling. "Yes, I informed him and he's on his way here." I closed my eyes then asked my other one.

"And Elliott?" She gave me a wary look. "He's aware of the situation, he's parents aren't found of the assault accusations. They're getting lawyers."

Fuck, fuck, fuck! You've got to be kidding me?! I knew something bad would happen if I told someone, I'm not letting this go any further.

"Mrs. Edith I'm over it, we don't to do anything about it." I pleaded, wanting this situation to go away.

"That's not your choice." She said, I stood up, feeling dizzy as I did so. "It is my choice! It happened to me, not you!"

"Carrie, honey!" Hank said, running to me. "Hank I'm sorry." I said, he shook his head. "Don't apologise, you did nothing wrong."

I did, I told my truth and now I have to pay for it, Mrs. Edith says I can't sweep this under the rug but God damnit I'll try to!