20: Talking About It

"It's gonna to be okay, talking about it will help." Charlotte reassures me as we stand outside the counselors office door.

Mrs. Edith was Adler Highs counselor, we've talked once for a minute or two, she was just checking on me and she seemed nice.

I told Owen about my plans and he asked if I wanted him to come with, I declined, I needed to go alone.

"I know, I'm just so nervous." I said, she took both of my shoulders and made me look at her.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come in with you? It might be better." I shook my head again. "No, I'll be fine."

She nodded and wrapped her arms around me. "I'm always here for you, Carrie. Good luck." I smiled a tiny bit, she's so sweet.

"Thanks, I'll see you later." She waved me goodbye and left me, I stared at the golden plaque on the door.

Mrs. Edith Cunningham
School counselor

I closed my eyes and opened the door, think of the girls he could hurt if I don't do this. I needed to do this for them, not me.

I opened the door and walked in, Mrs. Edith was at her desk, writing. When she noticed me, she smiled brightly.

"Oh Carrie, hello!" She said happily, I gave her a weak smile. "Is this a bad time?" I ask, gripping the straps of my backpack.

It was the end of the day, it was still Monday and I'm scared as hell. Owen had practice today and he promised to make an excuse to the twins for me.

"No, not at all, come in!" A part of me wishes she said yes and kicked me out, instead, she extended her hand to the seat adjacent to her.

I sat down in said seat and fumbled with my fingers, how do I started the conversation?

Hey Mrs. Edith, I got sexual assaulted by one of the football players and now I'm telling you. Yeah right, not saying that.

"I just needed to talk to someone." I started, I wish I could just go but I'm too deep in it now.

"Well you can talk to me, what's up?" She asked, still a smile plastered on her face. "I don't know how to start." I confess.

She bit her lip. "Just start with why your here, is it for a good reason or a bad one?" I hugged my body and looked away.

"Bad." I said, she nodded and took something out of a desk drawer, a stress ball. "Here, you seen stressed." I caught it from her throw and played with it.

"Back to why you came here, a bad reason huh? Are you having some sort of conflict with a student?" I shrugged.

"You could say that." I mumbled, she out her glasses on, more serious now. "Who are you conflicting with?" She asked.

I started sniffling, thinking about what he did to me and how I'll have to tell her.

"Elliott Reed." I said, she nods again. "Aren't you two friends?" I cringed, he was my friend, I don't know why I didn't see how awful he was before.

"No we were but not anymore." She wrote something down. "I can bring him in, you two could talk and," I stopped that, I never want to see him again. ", No!" I yell.