31. Daddy Dearest

There I sat anxiously, in the schools office.

It was Wednesday, 2:00pm. I was waiting to get picked up by Hank. That wasn't the horrid part no, the part that wore me up was the fact that I'd be meeting my biological father in just two hours.

Hank told me he wanted to pick me up at school to "get me mentally prepared" to meet him. Though I think that he was getting more prepared than me. I was for the most alright, or at least I acted like I was alright for Hanks sake. I couldn't say the same for Hank.

For the past two days he's been more and more on edge, to the point where even Benji noticed that he's acting off. "What's wrong with daddy?" Benji asked me last night as I put him in bed. I had tried my best to calm his nerves. Benji finally agreed after giving him a piece of candy.

All the boys were worried. It was up to me and Eric to convince them that everything was okay because Hank was too busy freaking out. I kept telling myself that, after today, me and Hank won't have to worry about my father anymore. Then Hank can finally take his place as my real dad.

That thought made me smile. Just as Hank walked though the door. Wearing his lawyer work attire. A suit and tie. His blonde hair was combed over and he looked more nervous than ever.

"Hey Hank!" I said, running up to hug him. "Hey my love." He whispered, squeezing me tightly. "You look happy." Why are you happy? Is what Hank wanted to ask. I knew it. I never want to make him feel like I want to see him, see my ex dad.

"I'm happy to get this over with." He nodded as he signed me out of school. We started to leave, we pass a few classrooms as we did so. When we get to the lot to find his car we hear. "Hey dad!" We turned to see Liam and Luke in their gym uniforms, waving at us. I blow them a kiss. Earning a few hoots from their friends.

I get into his car and we drive in silence. "It'll take an hour to the prison." He whispered after getting onto the highway, I nodded. "Okay."

"We'll get some food on the way."

"Okay."

"There's a Xiaz in Cooperville, I know you like that place."

I smiled. Me and Miss. Brandy went there all the time. Those were good times all right. "Miss. Brandy told you about the time I puked there on the 13th birthday." He laughed for the first time in 5 days. "I did not hear that one." He said through laughter.

"I stopped eating there for two months! Then I got over it. Maybe we can all go there once this is over." I said. He took my hand. "Of course hon." It got silent again so I started looking at my surroundings. Cars, cars, and some trucks thrown into the mix.

It stayed like that for the next 70 minutes until we finally got off the highway. We went on to a familiar road where we got to a familiar building. Xiaz.

We didn't go inside, we didn't have the time. Do we went through the drive thru. I got my favorite, 11 pc nuggets with cheese fries and a lemonade. Hank got a double stuffer burger with tater tots and a coke.

As we ate, Hank got a call. From Miss. Brandy. He answered immediately. "What's up?" He asked. His eyes grew dull. "We'll be there in 20." Then he ended the call and started up the car.

We drove the rest of the way to the Cooperville prison. I waited patiently as Hank went up to the guards and confirmed our appointment. We drove to the visitor parking lot.

"Carrie?" He said as we walked into the building. "Yeah?" He stopped me, putting both his hands on my shoulders. "We don't have to do this."

"I know. I want too though." He simply nods and we continue walking through the building.