Prologue

I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I turned it off and stared at my ceiling before finally deciding to get up and be productive. It was now 6:30 in the morning, and it was time for me to get ready for work.

I hopped in the shower, washed my hair, washed my body and got out. After drying off I blow dried my hair, slicking it back in a bun on the top of my head.

I put on my white button down shirt with black slacks. I grabbed my name tag and keys, and was out the door.

I said a silent prayer to myself in the car on the way to work. Being a waiter at a diner can be hell at times, but people in New York can be very rude and straight up disrespectful.

I parked and walked through the doors, clocking in. "Hey Olivia!" I turned around to say Kelsey with a big grin on her face.

"Hey Kel" I said dryly. I was exhausted.

"Long night last night?" She asked. "Not even, I worked a double and closed the diner last night. No one else was avaible" I said as I put on my apron and hat.

"I wish I could've helped, but you know my mom is in and out the hospital now"

"I know Kel, how is she by the way?"
Kelsey sighed before taking a seat at one of the booths. It was now 8:43 am and the diner wasn't opening until 9. Me and Kelsey always came and clocked in early.

I took a seat across from her as she began to speak.

"The doctors see no progress at all, but they still don't know what's wrong with her" she started to tear up, so I gave her a sincere hug and we started getting ready to open the diner.

Once my shift was over, I clocked out and walked out to find my car. I hopped inside and made it back to my apartment. I walked inside and was hit with the smell of weed.

I sat my things down and began coughing as the smell got stronger.

Out walked Jeremy in basketball shorts with a blunt in his hand. "Hey babe" he said with low eyes.

I rolled my eyes and walked right past him. He knew I hated when he stopped by unexpectedly. And then he had the nerve to smoke in my apartment? The last time he did that neighbors complained and a warning was sent to my apartment.

He followed me to my bedroom and rested his hands at my hips. "You okay babe?" He asked. "Well I was until I came home to this" I motioned him and he rolled his eyes.

"I don't know what the fuck your problem is, but you need to chill out" he said with a serious face. Seconds later her busted out in laughter and got in bed. He was high off his ass and I was pissed.

"Whatever Jeremy, goodnight" I said before taking my pillow and a blanket to the couch. There was no point in even trying to argue with him, so I left him in my room to sleep alone.

The couch wasn't as bad as I thought. I took this as a time to think about my life. I thought about how blessed I was to have Kelsey as a bestfriend. And how proud my dad would be if he knew I was providing for myself. I even thought about how happy Jeremy has made me these past 2 years, even though there were moments when I felt mistreated, I can say he is a decent boyfriend.

With all these overwhelming thoughts, i somehow managed to drift asleep.

***********
Just a preview of Olivia's life. More exciting things to come!