Chapter 45

Important question at the end of the chapter!

Olivia POV

"Mmmmm this is sooo good" I moaned, placing more peach cobbler in my mouth.

"I know how much you love it baby"

I smiled and brought my plate to the kitchen, washing and rinsing it. I began wiping counters and the kitchen table. There was one spot that wouldn't come up.

I kept scrubbing and scrubbing but it remained.

"Olivia, it's okay to talk about it"

I dropped the rag and broke down crying.

"Grandma, I miss him"

I sat down at the kitchen table and felt her arms rubbing my back.

What's crazy is how that statement has 2 different meanings for me.

Today was September 3rd.

August's Birthday.

I haven't spoken to him in a week. And I had so much planned for his birthday. I miss him so much, but I can't let him continue to disrespect me or our relationship. I didn't want this breakup to be permanent, but if there's no change that may be what's needed.

On top of all of that, today is also the day my father passed away.

Every year this day seemed harder and harder for me.

I still remember seeing him laying on the hospital bed. Despite all that he was going through he still had a smile on his face.

3 years ago, yet it still feels like yesterday.

"He's in a better place baby. He wouldn't want you grieving like this"

I wiped my tears and took deep breathes. My asthma has been acting up because of the season changes.

"I know. I'm just finally achieving my dreams and I wish he was here to see it."

I only needed to take a few more courses before I was eligible for the BAR exam. I've been studying my ass off and I was so close to becoming a certified lawyer, no one was stopping me.

"I know he's proud of you Olivia. I am too. We all are."

I knew she was referring to my mother, but I pushed the thought of her away. Just like I always do.

My phone vibrated and I picked it up, seeing a text message.

August(2:22 pm): I know today is gonna be hard for you, keep ya head up ma, I love you.

I smiled and locked my phone, deciding to text him back later.

I wanted to give my full attention to my grandma, I know this is gonna be a hard day for her too.

August

"Be careful Layla"

She been running all over the place since this morning.

Nia said she was going to the store but that was damn near 5 hours ago.

This morning I woke up, and even though it's my birthday all I could think about was Mill.

I neva' knew my pops but I can't imagine losing someone that close to me. I know Mill, and she bottles up all the shit that she feels. Now she has all these anxiety issues and I don't want her breaking down again. I decided to text her just to make cure she was aight.

I missed her so fuckin' much. I fucked up and said some petty ass shit. But I was so angry I wanted to hurt her. I should be trying to fix things with her but right now some space was needed.