Chapter 11

*1 week later*

Olivia POV

I was sitting at the kitchen table, eating pineapples. Kelsey was in the living room, on the phone with the funeral home that would be burying her mother in a couple days.

This past week has been really hard for Kelsey, and me too. I was really close with her mother. I use to visit her all the time when she first got diagnosed. When things started to not look good, she insisted that I stopped seeing her, because she didn't want me to remember her in that way. As much as I didn't agree with it, I had to respect her wishes.

I've tried to be there for Kelsey as much as possible. I took a month off from the Law Firm, Ashely changed my shift to weekends only, and I only visit the shelter every other day now.

Kelsey is like my sister, and this definitely is hitting home hard. But for some reason, Kelsey has been shutting me out. I know this is hard for her, but I want her to know that she's not alone.

I looked down at my phone and saw that August texted me.

August (11:32 am): wassup Mill, wyd?

I smirked and picked up my phone, reading his message.

Me (11:33 am): just woke up, eating pineapples...Me and Kelsey are going to pick out caskets later

I peeked over at Kelsey and noticed the conversation on the phone wasn't going so well.

"I understand that, but before my mother died she said she wanted ME to take care of everything! So you tell her she can sit the hell down with that mess" she hung up and stormed into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water.

"What happened?"

She took a seat across from me, leaning back and taking a sip of her water.

"They had the nerve to tell me I'm not entitled to make decisions regarding my mother's funeral. Because Brittany's bitchass is on the will."

My eyes widened when I heard that name. Brittany was Kelsey's bitchass older sister. Growing up, Kelsey's mother favored Brittany more, she was a successful OBGYN in Cali, and as soon as she started making money, she dropped Kelsey and her mom. We even called and told her that her mom was sick. All she did was send checks. Not once did she pick up the phone to speak to her mom. I barely knew her, but I had no respect for her.

"The hell? She probably doesn't even care that her mother is dead. That's crazy." I picked up a pineapple, sucking the juice from it before popping it in my mouth. My phone vibrated again.

August (11:44 am): you always eating pineapples😂...but damn, that's depressing. How is your friend dealing with all of it?

Kelsey noticed me looking down at my phone. "Who's that?" She raised an eyebrow, stealing one of my pineapples. I gave her a death glare. "Don't touch my pineapples hoe." We both laughed. "But that was August." Her eyes widened and she started hopping up and down. "Yall text? Oh my god girl what Yall be talking about?"

I sighed. "Kelsey you sound like a teenager. Shutup girl" she laughed and snatched my phone from me, scrolling through our messages. "Damn girl, you be curving him bad." I knew she was referring to how I would react whenever August would try to flirt with me. I wasn't trying to "curve" him. It's just something I wasn't use to. So I would always change the subject, or say I'm sleepy.

"Girl give me my phone" I snatched it from her. "I'm not curving him, I'm just not ready for all of that."

"Well when will you be? When that low class nigga Jeremy comes crawling back?" I rolled my eyes and ate another pineapple. "No! Why are we even talking about this Kel? We need to be thinking about how we are gonna convince your sister."