14. The lies you tell

EPISODE FOURTEEN, SEASON FIVE

Malia placed her hand on Avery's shoulder turning her around but as soon as her eyes landed on Avery's bloody wound that was just below her eye that drizzled blood down to her neck Malia's expression dropped "Avery?"

"It's fine" Avery muttered back but when Malia's eyes met her blood shot eyes from all the crying she knew that nothing was fine "What happened?"

Avery shrugged like it was no big deal "Tracy gave me a little visit and then I broke up with Theo"

Malia's eyes softened and without a second thought she pulled Avery into a hug "I'm so sorry"

Avery felt herself lean more into the hug as she wrapped her own arms around Malia "it's all good, it had to happen eventually" Avery said about her and Theo's break up.

Malia tightened her grip on Avery knowing that Avery really liked Theo and that she didn't want to say goodbye to there relationship "I guess it's a bad time to ask you if you want to come and help me find the desert wolf"

Avery pulled back but still held onto Malia's arms completely changing her mood "You want me to help you?"

"Yeah your the best fighter I know, and I know If something happens I won't be able to fight back without you by my side" Malia answered making Avery smile "of corse I wanna fight by your side. I need to go and clean all of this up" she said as she motioned towards the blood that streamed down her face, down her neck and soaked up her shirt.

"Really? Thank you so much. Meet me at the Clinic tomorrow night and bring your bow or any weapon that you would like" Malia said with a big smile

"Okay I'll be there" Avery said before turning to her car that stood in the schools parking lot

"Bye" Malia said just as Avery got in her car but as soon as Avery drove off Malia felt her smile drop feeling extremely bad for her best friend. She deserved so much better.

~

When Avery got home she opened her front door and walked in closing it behind her but what she didn't expect to see was her dad leaning up against a wall with his arms crossed and as soon as he noticed her blood covered shirt he pushed off the wall and placed both of his hands on either side of her beaten face "Sweetie are you okay? Who did this to you? What happened?" All random questions left his mouth but her tired eyes didn't meet his and looked down at the ground as she asked "Am I a monster?"

Chris didn't know what to say, he begged himself to tell her daughter that she wasn't a monster but no words came out of his mouth so he made himself shake his head and just before he was about to speak another voice spoke that Avery didn't know she would hear ever again "Yes you are"