29. Heartbreak

When Avery walked back into the sheriff's station, Theo immediately noticed how she looked completely drained and so he called out her name but he received no answer as she placed her sword down on a metal table and went to get a snack that she to...

When Avery walked back into the sheriff's station, Theo immediately noticed how she looked completely drained and so he called out her name but he received no answer as she placed her sword down on a metal table and went to get a snack that she took from her home a few hours ago.

Before Avery could could reach her bag that held snacks, Theo's hand reached out and grabbed onto her wrist causing her to stop and turn to face him. "What?"

"What's wrong?" Theo asked looking directly into Avery's eyes that stared right back at him. Avery dropped her eyes down to where Theo had his fingers wrapped around her wrist and tried to fight off the tears that begged to fall while she replayed the moment she watched her father disappear from existence. "Nothing, I'm fine." Avery muttered which was a clear lie and Theo knew that so when Avery tried to pull herself out of his grip he tightened it. "Avery, talk to me. I'm not letting go until you tell me what's wrong. I know you're not fine."

His tone was filled with worry and it was soft just like his eyes were when he looked at the red-headed girl in front of him who was currently trying not to crawl into a ball and let her tears fall. Avery shook her head and lifted her head to look back into his blue eyes. "He's gone." She whispered sadly which made Theo frown and ask. "Who's gone?"

Avery licked her lips that slightly quivered while she thought of who exactly was gone. The person who was always there for her. The person who would help her with her homework. The person who would take her out to get ice cream and to her favourite park as a child. The person who would comfort her after a long hard day at school and give her a big hug. The person who would laugh after finding out Avery had gotten herself into trouble at school with another student. Her father.

Avery's voice cracked as she spoke "My dad."

"What happened to him?" Theo asked softly.

"Mr Douglas used the ghost rider's whip to take my dad." Avery answered nodding along with her words to stop her tears that glossed over her eyes and blurred her vision but despite the movement, They fell and she found herself crying in front of Theo Raeken.

"I'm so sorry." Theo whispered letting his fingers loosen from her wrist but she didn't move as his arm fell back to his side, she just stood there and dropped her head before wiping away her tears while letting a saddened laugh to leave her pink lips. "It's okay. It's kinda funny actually because as soon as I watched my dad blow up into a puff of smoke, hunters came to see me."

"And what happened to the hunters?" Theo asked.

"They left after talking to me which is surprising because I thought they would do something but they didn't." Avery lied while shrugging but Theo caught that lie as her heartbeat jumped. He didn't say anything or do anything except look at her and wonder why she would lie and what really did happen with the hunters. "Avery?"