42. The voicemail

EPISODE EIGHTEEN, SEASON SIX

"Hey, it's me again. I, uh, don't know why you
can't seem to call me back. Maybe it's because you
think you're punishing me. But this is too long. It's too much. And it's not about us. Something's happening in Beacon Hills, to the people here. I just... I just, I need to know everyone there with you is okay, so can you just, please, call me, please? One call, that's all I'm asking for, and if you can't call me back, then... I'm going to get my answer, anyway. That means I'm coming up there myself. If I don't get a call from you, I'm coming up there. So just try, try to
remember, it's my pack, too." A female voice said into a voicemail of a phone that Malia had found recently.

Avery listened to each word carefully while sitting on a table in the vet clinic until the voicemail ended and the voice disappeared. Scott folded the phone back up that sat on a bench after everyone listened to what the woman said. Theo, who was standing by the front door with his hand bracing the doorframe, turned slightly to face Scott. "You pulled this off one of the bodies in the woods?"

Liam was the one who answered. "Malia did."

Scott nodded at Liam's words and added. "Yeah, there were six dead bodies, and one of them had no face." Avery couldn't help but picture the scene that Scott described in small detail. He didn't need to describe every detail for Avery to see it clearly in her mind. She knew that the sight wouldn't have been pretty and probably would have made Avery sick to her stomach. Seeing dead bodies was pretty much her job but the sickening feeling never goes away and that's because those people who died and became nothing but motionless cold corpses had once lives to live and dreams to fulfil and places to see, and now they were gone. Dead.

As usual, Theo's voice brought her back to the present. The present where a supernatural creature called the Anuk-Ite was let out of the wild hunt and is now inflicting severe terror on people who live in Beacon Hills. It was always their town. "Okay, so the one with no face, you think that's the woman on the phone?"

Avery watched as Theo walked over to the front desk and placed his hands on the surface, searching for answers as to who was on the phone. Scott leaned against a small table and shrugged. "Maybe."

Mason spoke up beside Avery as he stood and took a few steps. "It's the same thing that happened to Aaron. It took over his body, basically stole his face and his DNA. So that means whoever this woman is, she could be the other half of the Anuk-Ite." His eyes flew onto each person as he explained.

"Which means she's just half of the problem." Theo says, lifting his head to look straight at Scott. "The other half we already know about, Aaron." Avery nodded at her boyfriend's words but looked at him with softened eyes as she told him "We don't know where he is, though."

Theo met her eyes and when their eyes locked, she knew he was really thinking about the whole situation deeply. "Okay, hold on. Aren't we supposed to
keep both halves apart? If we know about one half, let's just go for that one, that's Aaron." He was definitely right. It would be much easier to find Aaron and Mason also agreed. "I'm not agreeing with Theo, but I do think it'd be easier to track down Aaron over a voice on a phone."