31. The bait

EPISODE NINE, SEASON SIX

Avery kept her eyes glued on Theo who hung his head low not meeting her eyes that begged him to look at her but as the seconds passed without a word coming from Theo she decided to continue explaining what had happened while he was in hell

Avery kept her eyes glued on Theo who hung his head low not meeting her eyes that begged him to look at her but as the seconds passed without a word coming from Theo she decided to continue explaining what had happened while he was in hell. "The reason why I have these stupid tattoos is that I thought that maybe if I hide the scars then all the memories would disappear as if they never happened but I guess that wasn't the case." She explained pulling down the collar of her shirt to reveal the tattoos that crawled up her collarbone before glancing over at the same spot on the ground where Rachel was last seen alive even though Theo didn't move an inch to glance at her.

Avery held back her tears as she moved her gaze back to Theo who was currently sitting on a bench in the cell staring at the ground like it was the most interesting thing in the room while his hands sat on his lap and his fingers tapped his leg.

"Theo..." Avery whispered taking a step towards the cell block but he still didn't respond or move to acknowledge her in the slightest. "Theo, can you please look at me? I know you may not think of me the same because of what I did but I-" She was quickly cut off by a broken whisper. "You called out to me..."

Avery nodded even though he couldn't see her knowing exactly what he meant. "Yeah, I did." She whispered back to the boy who she so desperately wanted to save her when she had gotten kidnapped.

"The one time you wanted me to save you and I wasn't there." His voice was quiet and it sounded shaky and broken as he spoke which hurt Avery to hear. "It's not your fault, Theo."

Theo finally met Avery's eyes as he lifted his head and once Avery took in his expression she felt her heart split into two. Her green eyes landed on his teary eyes that let water slip down his cheeks as he shook his head. "Yes, it is because If I didn't try to kill Scott and his pack then I would've been there to help you and you would've been at home in my arms safe where no one can hurt you." He told her which caused a tear to stream down her cheek.

Theo pushed himself off of the bench and walked over to her. "Avery I am so sorry that you went through what you went through and I'm sorry I wasn't there." He said reaching out and grabbing her hand.

Avery sent him a small smile. "It's okay. I-I'm sorry that you went through what you went through too."

Theo shrugged glancing down at their hands before looking back to her teary eyes. "It's fine I suppose I deserved it anyway. Especially because of what I did to you. I mean what kind of boyfriend pushes their girlfriend into a wall, Lies to them continuously, handcuffs them to a car, points a gun at them, and tries to kill their friends?"

"A chimera boyfriend." Avery shrugged wearing a soft smile that caused Theo to chuckle. She then dropped Theo's hand and reached past the metal bars to place both of her hands on the side of his face to swipe her fingertips against his cheeks wiping away his tears.